Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Flooded home insurance

Cover for previously flooded homes, or homes in a high-risk flood area from Howden.

What does flooded home insurance cover?

Bullet Point

Your buildings

Howden’s flooded home insurance will protect your buildings against a wide range of risks.

Bullet Point

Theft and malicious damage

Protect your buildings and contents against theft, attempted theft and malicious damage.

Bullet Point

Property owners’ liability

Flooded home insurance also provides property owners liability cover.

Need standard home insurance?

If you don't have specialist requirements, take a look at Howden's range of standard home insurance policies.

Frequently asked questions about flooded home insurance

Here are some frequently asked questions about covering a flood risk property, and how this could affect your mortgage.

What will I need for a flood insurance quote?

When getting a quote for flooded home insurance, insurers usually need to know the proximity of water (in metres) to your property from the nearest water course, as well as information about any history of flooding in the area. This should include causes and dates. You may also be asked about any defences that have been installed since the flooding, and for a full flood claims history for your property, including the value of the claim and details of the work completed.

Does flood risk affect mortgages?

As part of mortgage requirements, lenders prefer buyers to have home insurance that includes flood cover. If you plan on buying a property in an area that has a high flood risk, whether as a landlord or as an owner-occupier, you may find the process difficult due to insurance availability and costs. If you're buying a property, your agent is legally obligated to inform you if it has ever flooded before. If your property has previously flooded, or is located in a high-risk flood area, many standard insurance policies may not offer the level of flooded home insurance you need. Home insurance quotes for flood risk areas can differ greatly.

Can I get ‘flood insurance’ for my property?

Whether you can get ‘flood insurance’ will depend on a number of factors. Howden's flooded home insurance provides cover for properties that have flooded in the past or that are in a high risk area. While in most circumstances Howden will be able to provide home insurance cover for properties previously affected by flooding, this may not include cover for flood. You'll need to tell them key information about the property in order to obtain a flood insurance quote, such as how close is your property to the nearest watercourse and whether any defences have been installed since the flooding happened.

How can I prevent a flood in my home?

Here are some tips to keep your property dry during flooding:

Shelving: Put your valuable items on high mounted shelves

Home entertainment: Hang TV and audio visual equipment from walls rather than placing them on units

Skirting: You can buy water resistant skirting boards or varnish boards to protect against water

Pumps: These can be bought and installed into an underfloor void to extract flood water

Walls: Protect walls by using a lime based plaster or by creating a draining system in cavity walls

Flooring: Use tiles rather than carpets which will resist water damage and be easier to clean and repair

Windows and doors: Synthetic or waxed doors and window frames will resist water damage

Kitchens and bathrooms: Choose water resistant materials such as steel, plastic or solid wood for furniture and fittings

Electrical appliances: Raise sockets so they are at least 1 metre above floor level and have no wiring at or below floor level

How can I keep my home dry?

Minimising the risk of damage is all well and good during wet weather, but there are also preventative measures you can take to lessen the amount of water that enters the property:

Doors: Get flood boards that can be installed when flooding is imminent and raise door thresholds where possible

Defence doors: For more frequent flooding or higher water levels, steel doors and shutter unites can be fitted to withstand flood water impact

Walls and floors: Raise the damp proof brick course and seal floors to stop water rising

Air bricks: Buy special covers that protect air bricks

Drains and pipes: Fit non-return valves to inlet/outlet pipes and drains

Self-inflating sandbags: The latest designs don't use sand, but can absorb as much as 13 litres of water in 5 minutes

Drainage systems: Improve and maintain drainage systems designed to take away flood water

Barrier systems: Create a barrier system around your property to help redirect the flow of water away

These tips will help reduce flooding risk, but with a greater height of water they will not be 100% effective. Always try to look at ways of reducing damage where strategies to keep water out are overwhelmed.

Find out more about flooded home insurance

What do I do if my home is flooded?

Unfortunately, sometimes there is very little you can do to prevent flood water from entering your home. If you've had to vacate your property due to severe flooding, returning home can be extremely difficult. Here are some things to bear in mind when returning home:

Take care: Tread carefully. Wear boots and gloves to protect you from hidden objects in the water

Insurance: Contact your insurer and begin to collect evidence to support your claim

Energy supply: Do not touch sources of electricity when standing in flood water. Get a qualified person to check your supply of electricity and gas or oil before doing anything

Ventilation: Open all of your windows. This will help to alleviate some of the smell left by the flood water

Food: Do not consume any food or medicines left in the house, even if it has been frozen

Mud: If you discover mud on both sides of a wall, shovel it away evenly so as not to create a build-up of pressure on one side

Cleaning: Once the flood waters have subsided, you can use ordinary household products and hot soapy water to clean surfaces and appliances

Temporary accommodation: Try to secure alternative accommodation as soon as possible. This may be automatically included on your home insurance policy. 

How can I get insured?

To get the best terms from insurers it is always best to be prepared to answer any questions they may have around the flood risk at your property. 

Information commonly requested includes:

Proximity of water – how near the water is to your property and how high above the water the property is

History of flooding – detailed information of flooding in and around the area, no matter how long ago

What precautions have been taken since the area last flooded – be aware of any government schemes, such as the upgrading of flood defences

Flood claims history – if a claim has been made, details of the cost of repairs and what work was carried out

Insurance companies are always very cautious about flood areas and the more information you have at hand the better the understanding the insurers will have around the risk. This means you'll be more likely to secure greater levels of cover with lower excesses.

Interested in flooded home insurance?

You might also be interested in...

Listed property insurance

Barn conversion insurance

Unoccupied home insurance

Holiday home insurance

Subsidence home insurance

Flat roof home insurance


Looking for some handy tips and hacks for your home? Read more on the blog!


Keeping your belongings safe at uni

Read more


Gadgets: To insure or not to insure

Read more


Are your Christmas gifts protected?

Read more


12 AMAZING lockdown birthday ideas

Read more