Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Lets with Pets – Pet damage insurance for landlords

Renting to tenants with pets?

It's not always a walk in the park. That's why we're proud to support the Lets with Pets scheme from Dog's Trust - offering expert landlord insurance with pet damage included as standard. Simply ask to include pet damage cover when you speak with one of our team.

Get a quote
Call us now on
tel: 0333 234 0039
Tenant led on the sofa playing with their dog's ears
Ready to protect your rental property? Get a quote today!
Get a quote
Call us now on
tel: 0333 234 0039
Best Landlord Insurance 2021 - Winner logo

What does our Lets with Pets landlord insurance cover?

With over 25 years' experience in the let property market, we are able to offer a wide range of covers. Here are just some of the covers we offer as part of our specialist landlord insurance:

Bullet Point

Pet damage

Our Lets with Pets landlord insurance provides cover for damage caused by your tenants' pets. Just ask for pet damage to be included when you speak to our team.

Bullet Point

Landlord buildings and contents insurance

Damage to buildings and contents is covered on an all-risks basis, including fire, theft, flood and accidental damage.

Bullet Point

Property owner’s liability

Landlords' liability is offered at £2 million as standard with the option to increase cover to £5 million. This includes cover for the owner of the building and their legal liability to third parties.

Bullet Point

Loss of rent

Loss of rent or alternative accommodation in the event of a total loss will be covered to either a specific amount which will reflect the rental income, or a % of the sum insured. 12 – 36 months indemnity period available.

What is pet damage insurance for landlords?


Pet damage insurance is additional protection provided as part of your landlord insurance policy. It helps support renting with pets and gives landlords peace of mind whilst doing so. It does this by protecting fixtures, fittings and any furniture you might have in the rental property against damage caused by your tenant's pet.

Even though your tenant will likely be responsible for covering the cost of pet damage, and you still have your deposit to fall back on – this pet-friendly insurance adds an additional layer of security for you as a landlord.


Not sure whether you need pet damage as part of your landlord insurance? We've answered some frequently asked questions about pet damage insurance to help you make your decision.

Does landlord insurance cover pet damage?


Endsleigh’s landlord insurance can cover pet damage if requested. However, it’s unlikely that most landlord insurance policies will cover damage caused by your tenants’ pets.

Our animal-friendly insurance helps you be more inclusive of tenants with pets, whilst widening your market of prospective renters. This can also potentially increase your tenancy lengths and reduce your competition.

When will I need landlord insurance with pet damage?


If you’re considering renting to tenants with pets, you’ve probably already made their responsibilities clear for covering the cost of pet damage. And you’ll also have their deposit to fall back on should you need it.

However, things don’t always go to plan. In circumstances where the tenant isn’t so forthcoming with resolving their pet’s damage, and maybe the deposit just isn’t enough to cover what needs fixing, what would you do?

This is where your cover comes in – providing you with an extra layer of protection so that repairs don’t come out of your own pocket.

Should I allow pets in my let?


This is a question only you can answer – but it’s worth bearing in mind that the government has recently updated their model tenancy agreement with the primary aim being to support people with pets in becoming eligible to rent.

Use of the model tenancy agreement is entirely voluntary - however if you’re not currently allowing lets with pets, it could be a good time to re-think your stance.

Whilst many landlords and pets have tricky relationships, there’s no denying the fact that there are lots of responsible pet owners out there. The tenants with pets market is vast and there are numerous tenants looking for a pet-friendly rental property. Any landlord looking to rent their house quickly could increase their reach dramatically by advertising their properties as pet-friendly.

Equally, the model tenancy agreement already includes rules to protect properties from poorly behaved pets. So you could find that the financial reward of filling properties quickly far outweighs the losses caused by a boisterous pet (which you’d be covered for anyway!).

If you do decide to let to tenants with pets, one of our dedicated landlord insurance options gives you peace of mind that you’re covered against pet damage at no extra charge. Speak to our specialist property team for a quote and let them know you’d like a quote that includes cover for pet damage.

Do I need pet damage cover?


Research from Dogs Trust has shown that one in three pet owners struggle to find a suitable property - leaving a lot of potential tenants looking to find a pet-friendly home.

This may be because landlords fear the damage pets may cause, or simply because they don't want the hassle of writing it into the tenancy agreement. However, you could find that allowing tenants with pets results in longer tenancies and less competition when you do inevitably have to search for new tenants. Having pet damage cover included with your landlord insurance will give you the freedom to accept tenants with pets should you choose to.

What is ‘Lets with Pets?’


Endsleigh is proud to support Dogs Trust’s Lets with Pets scheme. We work with insurers to offer a specialist landlord insurance that includes accidental pet damage cover as standard. This offers landlords peace of mind when renting to tenants with pets.

The cover compliments the work of Dogs Trust’s Lets with Pets scheme, which offers a package of free tools and resources for landlords. The Lets with Pets scheme was set up in 2009 with the aim of making privately renting with pets easier for pet owners, landlords and letting agencies.

How do I make a claim for landlord pet damage cover?


If you need to make a claim under your landlord insurance policy - including claims for pet damage - please visit our claim centre. There you’ll be able to select the correct contact information for your specific insurance policy.

Why Endsleigh for landlord insurance?


We are experts within the property market and are also recognised as the Best Landlord Insurance Provider in the UK*. Whatever the size of your portfolio, we can offer a market-leading level of cover at a competitive rate to ensure your properties are protected.

*Voted at the Insurance Choice Awards, 2021

Need to know more about landlord insurance?

If you’re looking for insurance but aren’t sure where to begin, why not check out our handy guide for lots of information and top tips?

What types of landlord insurance are there?

What is rent guarantee insurance?

Can I insure multiple properties on one policy?

What is landlord legal cover?

How do I make sure I’m not underinsured?

A building valuation will provide an accurate reinstatement cost for your property giving you the information you need to request the right amount of cover from your broker.

BCH is a RICS-regulated company that provides building insurance rebuilding cost valuations via desk-based e-valuations or site-based reinstatement cost assessments (RCA).

Find out more about building insurance valuation services today.

Interested in pet damage cover for landlords?

You might also be interested in...

Cover for commercial landlords

Find out more about commercial property insurance.

Cover for student landlords

Find out more about student landlord insurance.

Cover for blocks of flats

Find out more about block of flats insurance.

Cover for landlords with multiple properties

Find out more about multiple property landlord insurance.


Looking for articles about the risks and challenges the landlord sector faces? Read more on the blog.

Home and living

Risks affecting community health and wellbeing providers

Read more

Landlord and property

How to choose landlord insurance

Read more

Landlord and property

Letting to students: A landlord's guide

Read more

Landlord and property

How to juggle multiple student tenancies

Read more

Need to contact us?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Mon - Fri; 9am - 5pm

Call us on 0333 234 0039