Small charity insurance

Helping you to help others

Insurance designed to make life easier for your small charity, from Markel Direct. Expert cover for organisations with an annual income of up to £250K. Cover includes public liability, employers’ liability, business interruption, trustees’ indemnity and more. If income is over £250K, please request a quote from our specialist team below.

Ready to protect your small charity? Get a quote today!
Partnered with Locality

Partnered with Locality

Partnered with Charity Finance Group

Partnered with Charity Finance Group

What does small charity insurance cover?

If your charity has an income of up to £250,000, get an online quote with Markel Direct that includes:

Bullet Point

Expert support

Markel Direct understand the unique risks faced by not-for-profit organisations. Their team of experts works with thousands of charities and not-for-profit groups to help them manage these risks.

Bullet Point

Competitive prices

They’ll always aim to provide competitive prices whilst never compromising on the quality of your cover.

Bullet Point

Specialist cover for small charities

Markel Direct offers one seamless policy, specifically designed for charities and not-for-profit organisations.

Bullet Point

Instant online quote

To get a quote we'll transfer you directly to Markel Direct Insurance. They’ll look after you during the quote and set-up process, and can be contacted on 0300 1345638.

What is small charity insurance?


Insurance for small charities and non-profit groups provides cover against the unique risks associated with charitable organisations and their activities.

Charities may need different types of insurance depending on what type of work they do. For example, they host regular fundraising events or work with vulnerable populations.

Charities also have a duty to care to their staff, service users and volunteers. They need to make sure they are financially protected in case things go wrong. Plus, they’ll need to fulfil legal obligations with public and employers’ liability insurance.

Who else can Endsleigh cover?

Community group insurance
Community groups

Specialist cover for a range of community groups and activities. These include youth clubs, leisure trusts, community centres, village halls, community transport groups and more.

Large charities and not-for-profits

We have over 30 years of experience crafting custom insurance solutions for charities and non-profits. This includes coverage for buildings and contents, vehicles, business interruption, trustees' indemnity, employers' liability and public liability.

Social enterprises

We want you to have the time to focus on your social mission. So, we’ve developed products to protect you as your organisation grows. Our specialist team of account managers can provide you with expert support and advice.

Small charity insurance: FAQs

We understand that you're busy and that finding the right insurance can be a hassle. That's why we try and make the process as easy as possible. Find out more about insurance for small charities and not-for-profit groups by reading our FAQs.

What does Markel Direct need to know for a quote?

Your small charity insurance cost will depend on various factors. Markel Direct will need some information about your organisation and activities to provide a quote. Examples include:

  • What’s your charity’s annual turnover?
  • What services does your charity provide?
  • How many volunteers and employees does your charity have?
  • Does your charity have any assets, such as property?
  • Does your charity carry out regular risk assessments*, training programmes and inspections?
  • Do your staff or volunteers have contact with vulnerable children or vulnerable adults?

*Remember, you’ll need to retain your risk assessments for evidence in the event of a claim

What covers are available for small charities?


Insurance for small charities and nonprofit groups with Markel Direct can include the following covers:

  • Public liability insurance and employers' liability insurance
  • Trustee indemnity insurance and professional indemnity insurance
  • Property damage insurance (with the option to include business interruption insurance)
  • Legal representation and employment disputes insurance
  • Money and personal assault cover
  • Cyber and data risks insurance
  • Occupational personal accident insurance
  • Fidelity insurance

Do small charities need public liability insurance?


Sadly, it’s not uncommon for people to injure themselves or cause damage to third party property.

If your charity plans to interact with the public or hold events, it may be wise to have public liability insurance. This will protect your organisation from any potential compensation claims filed by third parties.

All organisations have a responsibility to take care of their staff, volunteers and clients. They must also make sure all activities are conducted in a safe and responsible manner. This helps to prevent accidents from happening.

If this duty of care is broken, someone may end up getting hurt or having their property damaged as a result. That person can then make a claim against your organisation for the damages.

Do small charities need employers’ liability insurance?


Employers' liability insurance protects charities from financial losses in a number of situations.

For example, imagine an employee slips and injures themself in the workplace, but there were no ‘wet floor’ signs displayed. Or maybe someone develops repetitive strain injury (RSI) due to not having the right computer safety equipment. If an employee gets hurt or damages their property at work, they could file a compensation claim against the organisation.

If your organisation has employees, you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance. If you don't, you could be fined up to £2,500 per day.

This applies to anyone where there is a contract of employment in place, whether it is spoken, written or implied, including:

  • Full-time staff
  • Temporary and part-time staff
  • Work experience and apprentices
  • In some instances, volunteers (sometimes volunteers are covered by your public liability insurance)

Employers’ liability insurance also provides cover for related legal fees and costs.

Is small charity insurance a legal requirement?


Trustees have a legal ‘duty of care’ to act in a charity’s best interests. Especially when it comes to its assets, resources, service users, staff and volunteers.

There is no legal requirement for small charity insurance. However, there may be some types of coverage that your charity is legally required to have, such as employers' liability insurance.

It's important to assess the risks associated with your charity. This will help make sure you’re meeting your ‘duty of care’ and legal obligations.

What if my charity's turnover is over £250K?

If your charity's turnover is over £250K per year, we can still help. Find out more on our charity insurance page.

Interested in small charity insurance?

You might also be interested in…

Charity motor insurance

Helping your charity to avoid bumps in the road. Motor insurance designed to make life easier for not-for-profits.  Extended cover is available to make sure you stay protected during the pandemic.

Charity public liability insurance

Public liability for charities, community groups and not-for-profits. Get an online quote to protect your charity from third party injury and property damage claims.

Trustees’ indemnity insurance

Financial protection for trustees, directors, governors, officers and committee members of charities, clubs, associations or not-for-profit organisations, incl. legal costs for defence and awarded damages.


Need some quick tips or guidance? Read more on our blog!


Keeping your belongings safe at uni

Read more


Gadgets: To insure or not to insure

Read more


Are your Christmas gifts protected?

Read more


12 AMAZING lockdown birthday ideas

Read more

Need to contact us?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm

Call us on 0333 234 1358