Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Charity motor insurance

Charity car, van and minibus insurance for your road ahead

Motor insurance designed to make life easier for charities, community groups and not-for-profit organisations. Get a policy that you can depend on for single or multiple charity vehicles, with extended covers to make sure you stay protected.

Get a quote
Call us now on
tel: 0333 234 1387
Partnered with Locality

Partnered with Locality

What does charity motor and minibus insurance cover?

Having an insurance provider who understands your needs is essential in finding the right cover - which is why we were chosen as the approved insurance partner for Community Transport Association members. We take the time to get to know you, your organisation and its activities. Endsleigh’s motor insurance for charities, not-for-profits and community groups can provide:

Bullet Point

Cover for all vehicle types

We can provide cover for different types of charity vehicles such as cars (including electric), vans, MPVs and minibuses. Just speak to one of our specialists to arrange your cover.

Bullet Point

Cover for all drivers, including volunteers

Our charity vehicle insurance is provided on an “any driver” basis, meaning any of your staff are insured to drive the vehicles at any time, including volunteers. Although there may be limitations based on age and driving experience.

Bullet Point

Expert consultation and advice

Your own dedicated account manager who will work with you to build a charity motor insurance solution that meets the specific needs and risks of your organisation. If you need to make a change to your policy, we’ll respond the same day and won’t charge administration fees for any transaction, including new business, mid-term or renewal.

Bullet Point

Market-leading insurers

With over 30 years’ experience, we work with the market-leading insurers who truly understand the community transport sector, enabling us to create products that truly benefit individual not-for-profit organisations. Every year we carry out market exercises to make sure you’re always getting a competitive price – because we don’t wait for you to come to us with problems, we come to you with solutions!

Bullet Point

Specialist breakdown cover

We get that speed is vital when things take an unexpected turn. We’ve developed our own breakdown protection scheme to provide highly competitive cover for charities and not-for-profits across the UK, including Northern Ireland. You’ll have access to an in-house control centre who can arrange urgent assistance using their network of local specialists. Cover can also be extended for wheelchair accessible recovery.

Bullet Point

Laid up cover

We’ve worked closely with our motor panel to introduce “laid-up cover”, which ensures your vehicles will stay properly protected if they’ve been declared off-road during COVID-19. If you have to declare your vehicles off-road, we’ll provide vehicle cover for accidental damage, fire and theft at a reduced rate. We can also provide cover for modified vehicles, such as vehicles that have wheelchair ramps or tail lifts.

Does my charity need motor insurance?


It’s a legal requirement to have a minimum of third-party car insurance in place to drive in the UK. But charities have an extra responsibility to their staff, volunteers and service users to make sure they’re protected against any additional risks they may encounter on the road. For example, Endsleigh’s breakdown cover can be extended to include wheelchair accessible recovery.

Your charity or community group may also require a slightly more flexible motor policy than standard car insurance will usually allow, as you may need to update your driver and/or vehicle details on a regular basis. You may also have a number of different vehicle types you need to insure, such as a mixture of cars, vans and minibuses.

We want your motor policy to be built around your specific needs, so we’ll work with you to provide a flexible solution for all types of charity vehicles - from single cars to fleets of minibuses.

Who do we cover?

Charities and not-for-profits
Charities and not-for-profits

We’ve used our 30 years’ experience to build bespoke products and insurance schemes that meet the ever-evolving needs of charities and not-for-profits. Including cover for; buildings and contents, single vehicles and motor fleets, business interruption, trustees’ indemnity, employers’ and public liability insurance and more.

Community group insurance
Community groups

Did you know that we’re the approved insurance partner for Community Transport Association members, and have a wide range of flexible motor and charity schemes for community groups? Find out more about our CTA partnership by clicking below.

Social enterprise insurance
Social enterprises

We want you to have time to focus on your social mission, so we’ve developed products designed to protect you as your organisation grows, with expert support and advice on hand from our specialist team of account managers.

Charity motor insurance: FAQs

Each charity is unique and finding the right cover can be complicated if you're not sure what risks you need to be protected against.

As a specialist in this sector, we understand that charitable organisations have got a lot on their plate, so we aim to make finding the right insurance an easy process. Find out more by reading our FAQs.

What is charity motor insurance?


Also known as charity fleet insurance, this cover is specialist car insurance for not-for-profit organisations. Having fleet insurance can often be more cost and time effective than a standard car insurance policy for busy charities, as they usually have to update their driver and vehicle details on a regular basis.

With a charity fleet insurance policy, cover will usually be offered regardless of vehicle type - including cars, vans and charity minibuses. We offer cover on an “any driver” basis, although there may be limitations based on age and driving experience. You may also need to provide details of any licensed drivers that will be using the vehicles.

Looking to insure a single van, car, minibus or need mini-fleet insurance? Just speak to one of our specialists to arrange your cover. Or head to our charity insurance page to find out more about our wide range services.

What level of motor cover is available?


We offer three levels of cover for charity fleet insurance – third party, third party fire and theft and comprehensive.

  • Third party insurance only covers damage to the other person’s vehicle in the event of an accident
  • Third party, fire and theft covers the same as third party insurance, plus cover for fire and theft
  • Comprehensive insurance provides cover for damage to both your charity’s vehicle and the other vehicle - as well as a number of additional covers, such as personal liability protection

We can also provide specialist breakdown cover to make sure you and your service users don’t get stuck on the side of the road - speak to one of our specialist account managers for more details.

What’s included with Endsleigh's charity motor insurance?


Depending on the cover you choose, we can provide the following protections under our charity vehicle insurance scheme:

  • Damage to or loss of your vehicle as a result of fire, theft, accidental damage, malicious damage, flood or vandalism
  • Your legal liability for death of or bodily injury to any person (including staff, volunteers and service users) and/or damage to third party property
  • Damage to or loss of personal effects while in or on the vehicle as a result of accidental damage, fire, theft or attempted theft
  • Repair or replacement of damaged windscreens
  • Replacement keys and locks
  • New for Old cover (if the vehicle is less than 12 months old and the cost of repairs exceeds 75% of the value of the vehicle at the time of the loss)
  • Medical expenses for the driver or anyone travelling in the vehicle following injury caused by an accident involving the vehicle

Speak to one of our specialists to arrange the cover that’s right for your vehicles, and your charity.

What types of vehicles are covered?


We can provide cover for all types of vehicles under one policy, whether it’s cover for a single vehicle, large or small fleet insurance – as long as they’re being used for charitable activities.

We can protect:

  • Commercial vehicles
  • Multi-Purpose Vehicles (MPVs)
  • Charity cars (including electric)
  • Vans
  • Charity minibuses
  • Leased vehicles
  • Vehicles that have been declared SORN

Are volunteers covered to drive?


Yes, you’ll just need to provide the driving license details of any staff or volunteers who will be driving the vehicles.

Are we covered to drive service users to their vaccinations during the COVID-19 pandemic?


Yes, all community transport organisations will be covered when providing transport for those who will be getting vaccinations from their local health centres - without you having to take time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your change in activities!

Community Transport Association

Anneessa Mahmood
Director of Member Services

We chose to work with Endsleigh because their biggest priority is the relationship with each client. Endsleigh are more than insurance brokers - they advocate for our sector by making the insurance market work for Community Transport of all shapes and sizes.

People to Places

Peter Haley

As a small community transport organisation, insurance is one of our biggest costs over the year. So it’s vital that we are happy with our insurance arrangements that’s value for money and with an organisation that appreciates who we are and what we do. Endsleigh are great, their staff are very engaged with us, and they’re knowledgeable and responsive. I’m very happy to have our minibus fleet insurance and all the other insurances we require as a small charity handled by their specialist team.

Help for Heroes

Lucille Street
Head of Risk and Compliance

I have been so impressed with Endsleigh since we moved to them at the start of 2020. From their initial tender they have sought to understand the complex needs of the charity and how we support our beneficiaries. The service we have received has been outstanding and the transition was so easy.

Interested in charity motor insurance?

You might also be interested in...

Cover for all types of charities

Find out more about charity insurance.

Public liability cover for charities

Find out more about charity public liability insurance.

Trustees' indemnity insurance

Find out more about trustees’ indemnity insurance.

Cover for community groups

Find out more about community group insurance.

Cover for small charities

Find out more about small charity insurance.

Cover for CTA members

Find out more about CTA insurance.


Need some quick tips or guidance? Read more on our blog!


Keeping your belongings safe at uni

Read more


Gadgets: To insure or not to insure

Read more


Are your Christmas gifts protected?

Read more


12 AMAZING lockdown birthday ideas

Read more

Need to get in touch?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm

Call us on 0333 234 1387