Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Commercial property insurance

Protection for the bricks and mortar of your commercial property.

From commercial building insurance to cover for contents, our business property insurance provides comprehensive cover for commercial landlords. Let your commercial property without a worry.

Get a quote
Call us now on
tel: 0333 234 0039
Two men in shirts talking business over coffee and a slice of cake
Ready to protect your commercial property? Get a quote today!
Insurance Choice Awards Best Landlord Insurance Provider Winner logo

What does commercial property insurance cover?

Commercial risks can be complicated, which is why we try to make finding the right business property insurance as easy as possible for landlords. Speak to our team of commercial property experts for a quote that includes:

Bullet Point

Commercial buildings insurance

Comprehensive buildings insurance for your commercial property, including cover for theft, accidental and malicious damage. Plus, add cover for the landlord’s contents!

Bullet Point

Commercial property owners’ liability

Up to £10 million property owners’ liability cover and up to £100,000 commercial legal expenses cover.

Bullet Point

Up to 120 days unoccupancy

Cover for up to 120 consecutive days during which the property is unoccupied. Additional conditions apply after 30 days.

Bullet Point

Commercial legal expenses

Up to £100,000 cover for your defence costs in the event of a legal dispute relating to your commercial property.

What is commercial property insurance?


Commercial property insurance, otherwise called business landlord insurance, provides cover to landlords who let their property for business purposes.

A ‘commercial property’ could be anything from a shop with a flat above, to an industrial unit that is occupied by a motor tradesperson. Business landlord insurance will usually provide commercial buildings insurance, cover for contents and more, plus you’ll normally be covered against fire, theft and flood.

You will have the option to include property owners’ liability and legal expenses cover to protect against compensation claims arising from your ownership of the property.

Commercial property insurance FAQs

We’ve taken the time to answer some of our customers’ most frequently asked questions, so you have all the information you need when you get a quote.

Do I need commercial landlord insurance?


You’ll need commercial landlord insurance if you’re looking for financial protection for your commercial property.

Could you afford millions in pay-out for a liability claim? Or what about the legal fees that will likely come alongside it?

What would you do if your building was damaged, and you needed to get it repaired and reinstated so that your tenants can operate safely again?

This cover will help protect you against a variety of circumstances. You can build your cover to include commercial buildings insurance and be covered in a wide range of different situations. Plus, you can get cover for contents, liability and more.

Is commercial property insurance a legal requirement?


Commercial property insurance is not a legal requirement. But it may be a loan condition of your mortgage if you have one.

Whilst not legally enforced, commercial landlords may want to consider business building insurance and other types of cover to protect them financially should damage occur to their property.

Who needs commercial property insurance?


Commercial property insurance is suitable for landlords who let their property out to businesses. This could include offices, retailers, warehouses or pubs and restaurants.

This type of cover is also beneficial for landlords who have a large commercial portfolio and want all covers on one policy for administrative purposes.

What else does commercial property insurance cover?


Endsleigh’s commercial property insurance can provide cover for:

  • Commercial building insurance
  • Commercial property owners’ liability
  • Up to 120 days unoccupancy
  • Commercial legal expenses
  • Accidental damage cover for your buildings
  • The landlord’s contents - This is subject to a policy excess specified within the policy documents
  • Additional covers - Glass, replacement locks, trace and access and underground services

Please speak to one of our expert consultants to find out more about what’s covered.

What optional extras can I add to my commercial property insurance?


No two commercial properties are the same, which means that you may need to tailor your commercial landlord insurance to include all the cover you need. As part of our commercial property insurance, we can offer:

Employers' liability insurance

This will protect you from financial losses that may occur if an employee experiences an injury or illness in the workplace and seeks to claim compensation.

Terrorism cover

We can also provide terrorism cover which provides protection for damaged or destroyed property, including buildings, equipment, furnishings and inventory.

Engineering and inspection cover

We also offer cover for engineering and inspection as well as contract works and developers, which will give you cover for your buildings and liabilities if you have any contract works or development going on at the property.

Extended legal expenses cover

This also includes cover for tenant disputes.

When should I get business landlord insurance?


Business landlord insurance is important to implement as soon as you exchange contracts for your commercial property – even if you don’t have tenants yet.

This is because even though it’s not fully operating as intended yet, things can still go wrong. Your property could be damaged by situations beyond your control. For example, fire, theft and flood.

Also, unoccupied commercial properties pose a high risk, so it’s important to ensure that your property is also covered for periods of unoccupancy.

How much cover do I need?


Your business building insurance will need to be based around the rebuild cost of your property. This is to ensure that should anything disastrous happen to your property, you will have the financial protection to rebuild or reinstate it.

Sometimes people get confused and think that the rebuild cost is the sale price, but this isn’t the case. The rebuild cost includes cover for everything needed to rebuild your property, which could include contractors, materials, architects and surveyors’ fees.

When covering contents, you will need to provide a replacement value. Which means you need to think about how much it would cost to replace the contents you’re covering.

Both of these figures – for commercial building insurance and contents – are very important to get right so that your property isn’t over or underinsured.

Who is responsible for commercial buildings insurance?


The other of the building (the landlord) is usually responsible for commercial buildings insurance – especially if a mortgage is involved. However, it’s always important to clarify insurance responsibilities with both the landlord and tenant prior to letting – even including it within the tenancy agreement.

The landlord would normally cover the building, contents belonging to the landlord and perhaps other types of cover such as liability; then the tenant would normally be responsible for insuring their own contents. 

How do I arrange commercial property insurance?


We understand that being a landlord can be time-consuming, so we try to make the insurance part simple. All you have to do to get a commercial property insurance quote is call our UK-based team on 0333 234 0039 or arrange a call by filling out an enquiry form.

We’ll then take the time to get to know you and your property or portfolio so we can make sure we’re getting you the right cover, at the right price. Once you’ve received your quote just let us know when you want to go ahead, and we’ll get you set up.

Why Endsleigh for commercial property insurance?


With over 25 years' experience in the landlord market, we understand the risks that landlords face and have designed policies to fit the needs of commercial landlords. Our team of commercial property experts will take the time to understand your property and its occupancy so we work can with leading underwriters such as NIG, Allianz, Zurich and more to shape the right insurance solution for you. We also won the Best Landlord Insurer award at the Insurance Choice Awards, 2021!

How do I make sure I’m not underinsured?

A building valuation will provide an accurate reinstatement cost for your property giving you the information you need to request the right amount of cover from your broker.

BCH is a RICS-regulated company that provides building insurance rebuilding cost valuations via desk-based e-valuations or site-based reinstatement cost assessments (RCA).

Find out more about building insurance valuation services today.

Interested in commercial property insurance?

You might also be interested in...

Cover for blocks of flats

Find out more about block of flats insurance.

Cover for landlords with multiple properties

Find out more about multi-property landlord insurance.

Cover for landlords of specialist properties

Find out more about non-standard landlord insurance with Howden.

Cover for portfolio landlords

Find out more about landlord portfolio insurance.

Read more on the blog!

Looking for some commercial property tips or guidance? Read more on the blog!

Home and living

Risks affecting community health and wellbeing providers

Read more

Landlord and property

How to choose landlord insurance

Read more

Landlord and property

Letting to students: A landlord's guide

Read more

Landlord and property

How to juggle multiple student tenancies

Read more

Need to contact us?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm

Call us on 0333 234 0039