Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Leisure trust insurance and risk management

The leading insurance broker in the leisure and cultural trust sector

We’re here to help you create a safer environment for your employees and your members through tailored insurance and risk management solutions. Whether you have single or multiple leisure locations, we can support you with the challenges you face.

Get a quote
Call us now on
tel: 0333 234 1387
Partnered with Locality

Partnered with Locality

UK Active logo

Partnered with UK Active

How can you protect my leisure trust?

Insurance for leisure trusts can include a wide variety of covers tailored to your organisation’s needs. We have over 30 years of experience developing bespoke insurance and risk management solutions that can include:

Bullet Point

Cover for single leisure centres or multiple locations

We work with a market-leading panel of insurers to offer flexible protection for a range of organisations and activities across the UK. This includes small centres, large multiple-location leisure groups and a wide variety of activities. We can also support with risk management workshops.

Bullet Point

Public liability insurance for “high-risk” facilities

From swimming pools and climbing walls, to golf courses and tennis courts, we’ll help you feel confident in your cover. Protection can include complex public liability needs, cover for medical fees, legal expenses and compensation claims.

Bullet Point

Expert advice and market-leading insurers

Access to your own dedicated client executive. They’ll work with you to identify complex risks associated with your leisure trust and build a solution that meets the specific needs of your organisation. As part of Howden, we have access to a wide range of insurers which means we can make sure you’re getting the right cover at the most competitive price.

Bullet Point

Risk Management

Our risk management service gives you the confidence that you are managing your risk in compliance with all relevant legislation. From an initial health check to understand and enhance your safety management systems, to health and safety assessments, fire risk audits, and an online compliance management tool.

What is leisure trust insurance and risk management?


Leisure trust insurance and risk management go hand in hand to protect leisure trusts against the unique risks that they deal with. One of your key responsibilities to employees and members of the public is to protect them from harm. This is achieved by identifying and managing potential risks in a formalised risk management strategy. Ensuring the environment is a safe space will reduce your financial and reputational exposure and ensure your legal obligations are met.

Leisure trusts also have a duty of care to make sure they’re financially protected should things go wrong. Plus, they need to fulfil legal obligations with respect to public and employers’ liability insurance. Our leisure trust insurance allows you to build your cover to include protection for your staff, service users and facilities all under one bespoke policy.

Leisure trust insurance: FAQs

As leisure trust insurance experts, we understand that you have a lot on your plate. This is why we aim to make finding the right cover a simple process. Find out more about leisure trusts insurance by reading our FAQs.

What covers are available for leisure trusts?


Leisure trusts insurance with Endsleigh can include any (or all) of the following covers:

Public liability insurance

If you work with customers or through a third party, you may need to arrange cover for public liability. Equally, if your leisure centre has “high-risk” facilities such as swimming pools, climbing walls and squash courts (amongst others), then your risk of public injury and resulting compensation claims could be even higher.

Although not technically a legal requirement, public liability insurance is an important cover to protect your organisation against the costs of potentially expensive third-party compensation claims and legal fees should someone get sick, injured or damage their property on your premises. Our policies also provide cover for legionella related claims.

Product liability insurance

If you produce, sell or repair products as part of your services (for example, you have a fitness centre that provides supplements) then you will need product liability insurance. Product liability cover can protect your business against claims for legal and compensation costs should the product you sell, manufacture or repair cause someone to get ill, injured, or damage their property.

Employers’ liability insurance

If your leisure trust employs at least one person, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. The minimum level of cover required by law is £5 million – without this policy, you may face large fines and reputational damage.

Directors and officers’ insurance

Financial protection for partners, directors and officers within a company  is vital. This protects the people with personal liability for the actions they take when undertaking their duties.

Without this cover, individuals can be held personally liable to the full extent of their wealth or assets. Often these policies can be extended to include claims made against the organisation as well as an individual.

Trustee indemnity insurance

The role of a trustee comes with certain responsibilities, exposing those individuals in trustee positions to the risk of being held personally liable should something go wrong. Trustee indemnity insurance is designed to cover the cost of claims where compensation for wrongful acts is made against the insured (for example, negligence or breach of trust).

Professional indemnity insurance

Working as a professional, your expertise is your business. And offering your services, knowledge and advice runs its own unique set of risks. It’s important to be fully covered should you find yourself in the position of having your work or advice questioned.

That’s why we work with insurers who can help you to cover the costs of potential compensation claims, legal costs and expenses required to defend yourself in court. You can also get covered for loss of income from days spent in court.

Cyber insurance

Cyber-crime is on the increase in the UK with specialist organised crime groups targeting everyone, including charities and leisure trusts. Your organisation (and your reputation) could quickly be severely affected if your data or network is compromised.

Our cyber liability cover is designed to support and protect you. We help provide effective cover against loss of income and claims made against you. As well as access to legal advice and expertise to help minimise any damage.

Asset insurance

All assets that your organisation is financially responsible for – including buildings, contents, equipment and stock – will need to be covered under your leisure trust insurance.

Not only are we able to cover leased or owned buildings, but we can also provide comprehensive contents, stock and equipment insurance. Helping you to protect the things inside your work premises that are important for your organisation to run.

This can cover against damage and theft for:

  • Furniture
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Stock
  • Specialist equipment
  • Personal items belonging to employees and visitors
  • Damage to contents in windows and displays
  • Items used outside of the business premises in connection with your work

Business interruption insurance

Building and contents policies alone make no allowances for any resulting financial loss during interrupted trading. That’s why business interruption insurance covers this loss of income or additional costs that may result.

Legal expenses insurance

If you have to defend yourself and your company in court, legal expenses cover can provide access to legal assistance. This includes assistance with employment disputes, contract disputes, property disputes, investigations and tax protection.

Contract works insurance

Insurance designed to cover builders and other trades. It protects against damage by an insured event to work that is underway on site, such as fire, theft, flood or malicious damage (for example, vandalism).

Engineering inspection and breakdown insurance

These policies safeguard computers, plant and equipment against machinery breakdown and business interruption. Plus, they provide statutory inspections services (including for lifts and pressured vessels).

Business travel insurance

We provide a wide range of cover for business trips, including:

  • Medical expenses
  • Repatriation
  • Cancellation
  • Delay
  • Personal liability
  • Loss of money
  • 24-hour emergency helpline to offer total support and reassurance

Group personal accident

This provides valuable protection for your organisation and employees against injury, disability or death as the result of an accident.

What other services can leisure trusts access?


As a specialist insurance broker for leisure trusts, our team of account managers are experts in sourcing the best insurance cover for their clients. They'll take the time to understand your organisation and advise you on the cover you'll need to protect it through our vast range of insurance options.

We’re dedicated to providing an all-in-one service to leisure centres and trusts, which is why we also provide:

The Endsleigh Bursary

Providing targeted financial support to assist with risk management.

Risk management

We’ll support with identifying and managing the unique risks associated with your leisure trust.

Claims management

Claims management and analysis through detailed reports.

Support and advice

Advice on managing incidents and providing information for insurers.

Do you need public liability insurance for a community swimming pool?


Public liability insurance is essential for all businesses and organisations, no matter their size.

But leisure trusts have an extra duty of care to their staff, volunteers and clients. They must ensure all activities are conducted responsibly to mitigate unexpected accidents.Especially if your leisure centre has “high-risk” facilities, such as swimming pools or climbing walls.

If your organisation is in breach of this duty - and as a result injury or damage is caused - then any third party could make a claim against your organisation for the damages.

From the risk of injuries to claims of negligence (and more), an unexpected incident at the pool could have an eye-wateringly high cost. ,Which is why it’s vital that your leisure trust has carried out the proper assessments and has the appropriate public liability insurance in place to help mitigate these risks.

Speak to us to find out more about public liability insurance for your swimming pool or leisure trust.

Do you provide cover for swimming pool hirers?


If you rent out your swimming pool to the public, then you may require cover to protect you against third-party claims for personal injury or property damage while they’re using your leisure trust’s facilities.

The public and products liability section of your leisure trust insurance with Endsleigh automatically provides cover for third-party claims arising from the hire of premises.

If an external swimming club or group is hiring your pool, they will also need to have their own public liability insurance in place to protect their own interests.

Are events covered by leisure trust insurance?


While events are a great way to promote your leisure organisation, there are also plenty of risks involved - particularly when they involve members of the public, employees or volunteers.

Therefore, if you’ll be engaging with the public or running events as part of your leisure trust’s activities, you may need public liability insurance in place to protect your organisation from potentially costly third-party compensation claims.

Equally, some landlords and local authorities will require you to have public liability insurance in place before you’re allowed to book a venue for an event. So it’s important to check what’s required and arrange appropriate cover plenty of time in advance.

Whether you're holding a swimming gala or sports day, our leisure trust insurance will help make sure you’re financially protected against the risks of running an event. This includes cover for cancellation and curtailment, employers’ and public liability and money, stock, contents and equipment cover.

Find out more about charity event insurance .

Community Leisure UK

Kirsty Cumming
Chief Executive

Endsleigh are a trusted and valued partner of Community Leisure UK. We have a long standing relationship and have consistently been impressed with their knowledge and friendly manner. They have a good understanding of the leisure sector and have always been willing to share insight and reflections with ourselves and our members, answering questions and explaining things in a clear and accessible manner.

Mytime Active

Georgie Reeves
Asset Manager

There are few insurance brokers that have the knowledge and expertise of both the industry and our sector than Endsleigh. Their technical knowledge and advice has translated into the improved policies and savings they have arranged for us. Endsleigh are a professional brokerage with a personal touch and customer centric focus.

Interested in leisure trust insurance?

You may also be interested in...

Cover for sports clubs

Find out more about sports club insurance.

Cover for community groups

Find out more about community group insurance.

Cover for arts and cultural trusts

Find out more about arts and cultural trusts insurance.

Risk management for leisure trusts

Find out more about our leisure trust risk management services.


Need some quick tips or guidance? Read more on our blog!

Business and charity

Top 5 risks in leisure trusts

Read more

Business and charity

The benefits of electric cars for charities

Read more

Business and charity

Why you should review charity insurance yearly

Read more

Business and charity

Tips for charity digital transformation

Read more

Need to contact us?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm

Call us on 0333 234 1387