What does sports club insurance cover?

We now have over 30 satisfied NGB customers and provide insurance for over 200,000 students participating in a variety of sports across the UK. We also have extensive experience in arranging insurance solutions for disability sports associations, working with organisations such as British Wheelchair Basketball, Great Britain Wheelchair Rugby and Disability Snowsport UK.

Bullet Point

Bespoke products and services

We’re experts in sourcing the best insurance cover for our clients. After 30 years’ providing flexible insurance solutions for the sports and leisure sector, we work with a panel of market-leading insurers to make sure we’re offering a bespoke range of products for your membership, including covers for public and employers liability, directors and officers insurance, buildings, contents and facilities and more.

Bullet Point


Funding can be a challenge for sports associations, so where possible Endsleigh provides financial support for elite athletes, participation in grassroots programmes, up-and-coming talents, tournaments and award ceremonies.

Bullet Point

Risk management support

The risks encountered within individual sports can be versatile and difficult to identify until they actually occur. To help improve safety awareness and prevent future claims, we can offer support services for your members through webinars, newsletters, Q&A’s and seminars.

Bullet Point

Personal accident insurance

If one of your members is injured while participating in an activity at your sports club, they may be left unable to work - either while they recover or permanently, dependent on the severity of their injuries. Personal accident insurance provides compensation for death and specified injuries sustained by your members while participating in an activity organised by your club, as well as assisting with bills, medical costs and other expenses that may be incurred.

What is sports club insurance?


Sports associations have a duty of care to their staff and customers to make sure they’re financially protected should things go wrong, as well as fulfil any legal obligations with respect to public and employers’ liability insurance. 

Not only that, but sports associations often have an increased exposure to risk due to the nature of the activities they run – it’ll probably come as no surprise that you’re far more likely to get injured during a Rugby match than a nature walk. 

Sports club insurance (or “sports association insurance”) is designed to protect against these unique risks and more, allowing sports clubs to build their cover to include protections for their staff, customers and facilities all under one bespoke policy.  

Speak to one of our specialist account managers to get expert cover, support and advice for a range of sports organisations and activities - including clubhouses, sports halls, courts and pitches, swimming pools, fitness and health suites and more. 

Specialists in the sports, leisure and cultural trust sector

Sports clubs, associations and national governing bodies

We provide expert cover for over 30 satisfied national governing bodies (NGB) customers and over 200,000 students participating in a variety of sports across the UK, so we understand the potential risks your organisation could be facing on a day to day basis. We also have extensive experience in arranging insurance solutions for disability sports associations, working closely with organisations such as British Wheelchair Basketball and Disability Snowsport UK.  

Leisure trusts

We’ve used our 30 years’ experience to build bespoke products and insurance schemes that meet the ever-evolving needs of leisure trusts - including cover for employers’ and public liability insurance, buildings and contents, events, single vehicles and motor fleets, business interruption, trustees’ indemnity and more.

Arts and cultural trusts

Whether it’s a cultural trust, theatre or performing arts groups, we want you to have time to focus on your purpose. That’s why we’ve developed products designed to protect you as your organisation grows, with expert support and advice on hand from our specialist team of account managers.  

Sports club insurance: FAQs

As a specialist commercial insurance broker, we understand that sports clubs, associations and national governing bodies have a lot on their plate – which is why we aim to make finding the right cover a simple process. Find out more about sports club insurance by reading our FAQs. 

What covers are available for sports clubs and associations?


Sports club insurance with Endsleigh can include any (or all) of the following covers: 

Public liability insurance 

If you work with customers or through a third party, you may need to arrange cover for public liability. Equally, if your sports club has “high-risk” facilities such as swimming pools, climbing walls and squash courts (amongst others), then your risk of public injury and resulting compensation claims could be even higher. Although not technically a legal requirement, public liability insurance is an essential cover to protect your organisation against the costs of potentially expensive third-party compensation claims and legal fees should someone get sick, injured or damage their property on your premises. Our policies also provide cover for legionella related claims.   

Product liability insurance 

If you produce, sell or repair products as part of your services (for example, you have a fitness centre that provide supplements) then you will need product liability insurance. Similarly to public liability insurance, products liability cover can protect your business against claims for legal and compensation costs should the product you sell, manufacture or repair cause someone to get ill, injured, or damage their property. 

Employers’ liability insurance 

If your organisation employs at least one person, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. The minimum level of cover required by law is £5 million – without this policy, you may face large fines and reputational damage.  

Directors’ and officers’ insurance 

Financial protection to partners, directors and officers within a company (those people with a personal liability for the actions they take in undertaking their duties within the company) is vital. Without this cover, individuals can be held personally liable to the full extent of their wealth or assets. Often these policies can be extended to include claims made against the organisation as well as an individual. 

Trustees indemnity insurance 

The role of a trustee comes with certain responsibilities, exposing those individuals in trustee positions to the risk of being held personally liable should something go wrong. Trustees’ indemnity insurance is designed to cover the cost of claims where compensation for wrongful acts is made against the insured (for example, negligence or breach of trust). 

Professional indemnity insurance 

Working as a professional, your expertise is your business and offering your services, knowledge and advice runs its own unique set of risks. Being fully covered should you find yourself in the position of having your work or advice questioned is important. That’s why we work with insurers who can help you to cover the costs of potential compensation claims, legal costs and expenses required to defend yourself in court as well as loss of income from days spent in court. 

Cyber insurance 

Cyber-crime is on the increase in the UK with specialist organised crime groups targeting everyone, including charities and not-for-profit organisations. Your assocation (and your reputation) could quickly be severely affected if your data or network is compromised. Our cyber liability cover is designed to support and protect you – providing effective cover against loss of income and claims made against you as well as access to legal advice and expertise to help minimise any damage. 

Asset insurance 

All assets that your organisation is financially responsible for – including buildings, contents, equipment and stock – will all need to be covered under your sports club insurance. Not only are we able to cover leased or owned buildings, but can also provide comprehensive contents, stock and equipment insurance to protect the things inside your work premises that are essential for your organisation to run. This could include sports fixtures (such as floodlights or dugouts) natural or artificial playing surfaces, Multi Use Games Arena's (MUGA's), equipment stored in ancillary buildings and more.  

Business interruption insurance 

Building and contents policies alone make no allowances for any resulting financial loss during interrupted trading. That’s why business interruption insurance covers this loss of income or additional costs that may result. 

Legal expenses insurance 

If you have to defend yourself and your company in court, legal expenses cover can provide access to legal assistance (including assistance with employment disputes, contract disputes, property disputes, investigations and tax protection). 

Contract works insurance 

Insurance designed to cover builders and other trades to cover damage by an insured event to work that is underway on site, such as fire, theft, flood or malicious damage (for example, vandalism). 

Engineering inspection and breakdown insurance 

These policies safeguard computers, plant and equipment against machinery breakdown and business interruption as well as providing statutory inspections services (including for lifts and pressured vessels). 

Travel insurance 

We provide a wide range of cover for business trips, including medical expenses, repatriation, cancellation, delay, personal liability and loss of money, as well as a 24-hour emergency helpline to offer total support and reassurance. 

Group personal accident 

This provides valuable protection for your organisation and employees – protecting against injury, disability or death as the result of an accident. 

Speak to our specialist team to understand the covers you might need for your organisation. 

Is sports club insurance a legal requirement?


While sports club insurance itself isn’t a legal requirement, there may be elements of cover your organisation is legally obligated to have. 

For example, if you have employees you are legally required to have at least £5 million employers’ liability insurance in place – and you could be fined as much as £2,500 for every day you are not properly insured. 

Therefore it’s important to properly assess the risk associated with your sports club to make sure you’re fulfilling both your duty of care, and your legal obligations. 

Visit the government website to find out more about your sports association’s legal obligations. 

What types of sports organisations are covered?


We work with market-leading insurers who truly understand the sports and leisure sector, providing flexible insurance solutions for a wide range of sports across the UK, including (but not limited to):  

  • Amateur sports teams 

  • Angling  

  • Aerobics  

  • Athletics 

  • Badminton  

  • Ballet  

  • Baseball  

  • Basketball  

  • Bowling (we’re a proud partner of the British Crown Green Bowling Association, who have over 70,000 playing members!) 

  • Cricket  

  • Cycling  

  • Football  

  • Gymnastics  

  • Hockey  

  • Martial arts 

  • National governing bodies 

  • Netball  

  • Running and walking groups 

  • Snooker  

  • Snow sports 

  • Swimming  

  • Tennis  

  • Volleyball  

  • Water sports 

What other services can sports associations’ access?


Our team of specialist account managers are experts in sourcing the best insurance cover for their clients. They'll take the time to understand your organisation and advise you on the cover you'll need to protect it through our vast range of insurance options.  

We’re dedicated to providing an all-in-one service to sports clubs, associations and national governing bodies, which is why we also provide: 

The Endsleigh Bursary 

Providing targeted financial support to assist with risk management. 

Risk management 

We’ll support with identifying and managing the unique risks associated with your sports club.  

Claims management 

Claims management and analysis through detailed reports. 

Support and advice 

Advice on managing incidents and providing information for insurers. 

Why is public liability insurance so important for sports clubs?


Unsurprisingly, sports-related injuries are not uncommon. 

But if a member does get injured while participating in one of your organisation’s activities, this could have a significant financial impact once you’ve factored in potential compensation costs, medical bills and legal expenses.  

That’s why public liability insurance is vital for any organisation engaging with members of the public – especially if their activities involve contact sports that could increase a customer’s risk of injury, such as martial arts or wheelchair rugby.   

You should also consider your products liability risk when arranging cover for your organisation – for example, are you providing fitness supplements or nutritional products to your members that could result in someone getting sick or having an allergic reaction? 

Does your organisation run events? If you’ll be engaging with the public or running events, you may need public liability insurance in place to protect your organisation from potentially costly third party compensation claims. Some landlords and local authorities may also require you to have public liability insurance in place before you’re allowed to book a venue for an event – but even if they don’t, would you want to foot the bill if one of your members caused damage to third party property?  

Speak to one of our account managers to discuss your public liability insurance requirements.  

Do you provide cover for clubhouses? 


Yes, we can provide comprehensive cover for all assets that your organisation is financially responsible for – including leased or owned buildings (such as clubhouses), contents, equipment and stock. We can also provide cover for sports fixtures (such as floodlights or dugouts) natural or artificial playing surfaces, equipment stored in ancillary buildings and more. 

We meet in different locations every week – can this be covered?


Yes, our flexible policies provide cover wherever your organisation is operating, whether it’s an interchangeable rented premises or your own premises.  

Do you provide cover for unincorporated associations?


Yes, we can provide cover for unregistered, unincorporated associations*. 

*Definition: An ‘unincorporated association’ is an organisation set up between a group of people who come together for any purpose other than to make a profit (for example, a voluntary group or a sports club).  

John Crowther
Chief Executive
British Crown Green Bowling

“Endsleigh have supported the British Crown Green Bowling Association for many years through the provision of comprehensive and specialist insurance protection for our affiliated Clubs and Members. Endsleigh are also the main sponsors of our Senior County Championship.” 

Noel Mantock
The Federation of English Karate Organisations

“The Federation of English Karate Organisations would have no hesitation in recommending Endsleigh as an insurance broker. The Endsleigh team works in partnership with us to ensure that not only FEKO benefit from a compressive insurance programme, but our members and affiliates do so too.” 

Kirsty Cumming
Chief Executive
Community Leisure UK

“Endsleigh are a trusted and valued partner of Community Leisure UK. We have a long standing relationship and have consistently been impressed with their knowledge and friendly manner. They have a good understanding of the leisure sector and have always been willing to share insight and reflections with ourselves and our members, answering questions and explaining things in a clear and accessible manner.” 


Need some quick tips or guidance? Read more on our blog!


Gadgets: To insure or not to insure

Read more


Are your Christmas gifts protected?

Read more


12 AMAZING lockdown birthday ideas

Read more


8 tech-free ways to enjoy university lockdown

Read more

Need to get in touch?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Monday to Friday, 9am-5:30pm

Call us on 0333 234 1358