Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

What does motor trade insurance cover?

When it comes to your insurance, we want to be a team. That’s why we’ll work closely with you to understand the risks associated with your industry and make sure you have the protection your business needs to thrive. Motor trade insurance with Endsleigh includes:

Bullet Point

Business protection insurance

We’ve used our 30 years’ experience to build bespoke products that meet the ever-evolving needs of car dealers, mechanics, part-time traders, national dealers and breakdown recovery firms - including employers’ liability and business interruption.

Bullet Point

Road risks insurance

Cover can be provided for all vehicles under your custody or control, regardless of vehicle type – including cars, vans and motorbikes. Cover can provided on either an ‘any driver’ or ‘named driver’ basis, depending on the nature of your business. There may also be restrictions based on age and driving experience.

Bullet Point

Wrongful conversion cover

Motor trade cover can be extended to provide protection if you unknowingly purchase or convert a stolen vehicle, subject to policy terms and conditions.

Bullet Point

Loss of MOT licence

Cover can also be extended to protect against loss of income if your MOT licence is suspended pending investigation. This doesn’t include if you lose your licence due to unlawful practices.

Bullet Point

Expert consultation and advice

We understand that your business is your priority, and that speedy updates to your motor trade policy are vital to keep your vehicles on the road and your business moving. We want to build a long-term partnership you can rely on, which is why we’ll provide a dedicated account manager who will work with you to build a fleet insurance policy that meets the specific needs and risks of your business.

Bullet Point

Market-leading insurers

With over 30 years’ experience, we work with market-leading insurers who really understand the commercial sector, enabling us to create products that will truly benefit your business. We’ll work with you to make sure you’re always getting the most competitive price – because we don’t wait for you to come to us with problems, we come to you with solutions!

Does my business need motor trade insurance?


If you have third party vehicles under your ‘care, custody and control’ as part of your normal business activities, then it’s a legal requirement to make sure you have cover in place to protect not only your own vehicles, but your customers’ vehicles as well. This will be the case for most motor trade businesses, such as car dealers, mechanics, part-time traders and national dealers.

But it’s not just the vehicles you need to protect – as a business, you also have an extra responsibility to your staff and customers to make sure they’re protected against any additional risks they may encounter, either on the road or while they’re sitting in the office.

We want your motor trade insurance policy to be built around your specific needs, so we’ll work with you to provide a flexible solution for your business.

Who do we cover?

Motor trade

We’ve used our 30 years’ experience to build bespoke products that meet the ever-evolving needs of bike and car dealers, mechanics, part-time traders, national dealers and breakdown recovery firms - including public and employers’ liability, road risks and business interruption cover.


As you evolve, so do your risks – which is why we provide motor trade insurance with a personal touch. We pride ourselves on our strong insurer relationships and aim to build the same great partnerships with our customers by exceeding your expectations for service and delivering highly competitive rates that you might not get elsewhere.

Fleets, taxi and courier services

Fleet insurance designed to keep your business moving, including cover for cars, vans, trucks, MPVs and special types. Get a policy that you can depend on for 3 or more vehicles, with expert advice and support from our team of fleet specialists.

Motor trade insurance FAQs

We want to help you make sure you've got just the right cover in place for your motor trade business - read our frequently asked questions below for more about  motor trade insurance, and what's covered with Endsleigh.  

What is motor trade insurance?

Motor trade insurance (also known as “traders insurance”) is a policy designed to protect businesses who work on and/or drive customer vehicles (as well as their own) as part of their standard business activities. This usually includes all types of vehicle, including cars, vans and motorbikes.  

As well as covering against road risks, motor trade insurance can also protect against other associated business risks, such as public and employee liability claims, business interruption and unexpected legal costs.

Because every motor trade business has unique and complex needs, it can sometimes be hard to find the right cover. That’s why our specialist team will get to know you and your business, so we can make sure you and your customers are protected when it matters.

What’s included with motor trade insurance?

Depending on the cover you choose, you can access the following protections under our motor trade insurance cover:

Public liability insurance

Cover against the costs of legal action and compensation made against your business should a member of the public injure themselves or damage their property on site or as a result of your advice or service.

Employers’ liability insurance

If you employ at least one person, having employers’ liability insurance in place is a legal requirement. Employers’ liability insurance protects against legal costs and compensation claims that arise from employee injury or illness in the workplace.

Road risks insurance

Cover for all vehicles under your custody or control, regardless of vehicle type. Cover is also provided on an ‘any driver’ basis, although there may be restrictions based on age and driving experience.

Engineering inspection cover

It’s also a legal requirement that all lifting or pressurised equipment undergoes regular maintenance and statutory inspection. Extending your motor trade policy to include engineering inspection cover could help take the pressure off, as your insurer will arrange for a representative engineer to carry out any required inspections for you.

Loan and hire extension

Motor trade insurance can be extended to provide cover for courtesy vehicles used by customers whilst their vehicles are in for repairs.

Demonstration cover

Demonstration cover is an extension for motor traders that allow prospective customers to test drive vehicles before they purchase, providing protection if any vehicles are damaged during a test drive!

Asset protection

Cover for assets that are either owned by the business or for which they are responsible under a maintenance agreement, including buildings, contents, stock, tools and equipment and tenant improvements. Cover can also be extended to include accidental damage.

Directors and officers protection

Financial protection for directors and officers should a claim be made against them personally, in association with the business. Cover yourself against the costs of defending or settling health and safety or employment claims.

Business interruption insurance

Protection for an organisation if they are unable to continue operating as a result of an insured peril. Cover the losses that could occur if your business is closed due to an insured event, such as a flood or fire.

Legal expenses insurance

Cover for any defence costs you may incur as a result of civil proceedings brought against your business by a third party. Protect your business from any financial losses that may occur after legal proceedings.

Speak to one of our specialists to arrange the motor trade policy that’s right for your vehicles, and your business. 

What types of businesses need motor trade insurance?

If you have any vehicles under your ‘care, custody or control,’ then it’s very likely that you’ll need some form of motor trade insurance in place. This can include businesses such as:

  • Car dealers, including part-time traders and national dealers
  • Garages offering mechanical and body repairs, MOTs or services, including mobile mechanics
  • Breakdown recovery firms
  • Car restoration businesses
How do I get a motor trade insurance quote?

To help us get the best motor trade insurance quote for your business, it’s helpful to have the following information to hand:

  • Details about your business and its activities, including annual turnover, driving activities and service users
  • Number of employees and driver details, including age and driving experience
  • Estimated values for any assets, such as buildings, contents, stock, equipment etc.
  • Details of your vehicle risk assessment policies and business continuity plans
  • Details about security, such as where vehicles are parked overnight, whether there are security cameras or alarm systems in place at the premises etc.

Arrange a call with one of our motor trade insurance specialists.

How much does motor trade insurance cost?

Cheap doesn’t always mean best, and the cost of your motor trade insurance quote will largely depend on the size of your business, the level of cover you need and your day-to-day activities.

That being said, as a broker we work with market-leading insurers to make sure we’re always getting the best quote for your business - meaning you can be confident that you have the right cover, at the right price.

Rota Geek

Chris McCulloch

Our needs were quite unique and Endsleigh were one of the very few companies that would help us.

Gloucester Rugby

Christine Moody

They come when we ask and we don’t have any faults at all with the service we receive.


Cate Atwater
Chief Executive

Endsleigh is one of Sporta's oldest supporters and sponsors, providing good value for many of our members.  


Need some quick tips or guidance? Read more on our blog!


Keeping your belongings safe at uni

Read more


Gadgets: To insure or not to insure

Read more


Are your Christmas gifts protected?

Read more


12 AMAZING lockdown birthday ideas

Read more

Need to contact us?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm