To qualify for income protection you must meet the following criteria:
- Aged between 18 years and 64 years - Insurers won’t provide cover beyond retirement age.
- Live and work in the UK – permanently living and in paid employment for at least 16 hours a week. If you work for less than 16 hours, you may qualify for unemployed income protection.
- Work is permanent – If you are in a temporary, casual or seasonal role you may not be able to apply for income protection.
- Employed for at least six months.
- Hold a secure job – you cannot apply for income protection if you are aware of any conditions which may affect your job security. These may include impending job losses, company restructure or merger with another company.
- Maximum insured benefit – your monthly benefits must not exceed the insurer’s maximum proportion of your salary.
- Medical conditions – your policy may not protect you against any accidents or sickness that occurred before you took out your cover.