What is tenants’ liability insurance?

If you’re a tenant living in a rented home, your landlord may have furnished the property before you moved in to make it more comfortable for you. However, if any of the landlord’s belongings (such as furniture, fixtures or fittings) were to be accidentally damaged while you’re living there, the landlord may expect you to cover the cost of the damage out of your tenancy deposit.

Tenants’ liability insurance is a cover automatically provided as part of your contents insurance policy that provides a level of protection for your landlord’s belongings.

What happens if I damage the property?

Sometimes accidents happen. If you damage your landlord’s property, they may ask you to pay for any associated repairs or costs out of your tenancy deposit. Depending on your tenancy agreement this could be mandatory, so it’s worth considering the benefits of taking out a tenants insurance policy to protect yourself against these potential costs.

How do I make a claim for tenants’ liability?

If you are an Endsleigh home insurance customer, to make a claim, please visit our claim centre where you’ll be able to find the right contact details for your insurance policy.

Further details of what’s covered can be found in your policy documents, which can be accessed via your Account.

If you are an A-Plan customer, please refer to your policy or contact A-Plan with any questions you may have.