Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Can you cover white goods with contents insurance?

Yes, white goods are covered under contents insurance. However kitchen worktops are considered ‘fixtures’ and therefore covered under buildings insurance.

With contents insurance, your white goods will be covered for risks such as:
  • Fire, explosion and smoke damage
  • Flood
  • Malicious damage or vandalism
  • Theft
You will also be covered for damage caused by escape of water from any washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer, fixed domestic water or heating installation or fixed fish tank.

Always check your exact cover with your insurer.

What are white goods?

For insurance purposes, white goods are usually any large electrical appliance that you use in the home for domestic tasks, such as a fridge, freezer or washing machine.
There are also brown goods (consumer electronics) and grey goods (computer equipment), but these will not be covered under a standard contents insurance policy.

Are my white goods and kitchen appliances covered against breakdown?

Unfortunately, most insurers are unable to cover breakdown of your white goods as this is a foreseeable event that will inevitably happen once your appliances start to age. However, if you have a manufacturer’s warranty in place for your appliance, the manufacturer may be able to repair it for you free of charge - check your purchase paperwork to make sure.

Insuring your white goods with contents insurance

Now that you’ve established which white goods you can insure, you’ll probably want to get things moving.

Grab a quick contents insurance quote today from Howden