Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

What is a named driver?

Car insurance can be quite hard to navigate if you’re new to it. One of the most common questions we get asked is “what is a named driver?”.

If you own a car and have your own insurance but there is another driver who sometimes uses your vehicle, you can usually add that person to your car insurance policy as a named driver.

What does it mean to be a named driver?

The named driver will benefit from the same level of insurance cover as you while driving your vehicle. A named driver could be anyone that uses your vehicle (assuming they have a valid UK licence), including friends, relatives or a partner. However, you will remain the policy holder and be liable for any payment of premiums and excess payments that have to be made under the insurance policy. Remember that, if you are the owner and the main driver of the vehicle, it is a legal requirement that the insurance policy be under your name.

Adding a named driver to your insurance policy can sometimes result in a decrease in your annual premium, but you should check with your insurer as this will depend on the circumstances.

Do named drivers get No Claims Bonus?

You might also be wondering, does being a named driver affect my own insurance? And can I get a No Claims Bonus as a named driver? Generally, named drivers are unlikely to be able to build up their own no claims bonus through being named on someone else’s car insurance policy. This is done by the named driver having their own insurance on their own car.

What is fronting? 

‘Fronting’ is when someone takes out a car insurance policy on their own car, but only adds themselves as the named driver and someone else as the main driver to get a cheaper premium.

This is illegal, and could result in a conviction for driving without insurance, as well as your car insurance policy being invalidated in the event of the claim.

That’s why it’s important that all the information you provide to us is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge, and that you let us know as soon as you have a change in circumstances – such as a change of address or occupation.