Feefo logo
0333 234 1447
Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm | Sat-Sun: Closed

Student life

Am I covered under my parents’ home insurance?

When you’re preparing to move to university for the first time, insurance probably isn’t at the top of your priority list. However, it’s important to make sure your belongings are protected – what would you do if something happened to them?

It’s likely that you’ll not only have a phone, but also a laptop, as well as all of your other belongings. Unfortunately accidents do happen – especially during the excitement of freshers’ week. But are you covered under your parents’ home insurance, or do you need to take out your own policy?


Are my belongings covered under my parents/guardians’ home insurance?

Sometimes you’ll have the option to cover your belongings under your parents’ home insurance policy whilst you’re away at university. However, not all home insurance providers will offer this, so it’s worth making sure. If they do, your parents will likely need to give their insurance company a call to extend their policy, and to double check exactly what is covered.

My belongings are covered under my parents’ home insurance, what will this mean for them?

Whilst being covered under your parent’s home insurance is generally cheaper for you as a student, it’s not always beneficial for your parents.

• A claim under your parents’ home insurance could increase their annual premium at renewal next year.

• The excess cost is usually higher on home insurance than on a student contents insurance policy.

• There’s also a potential cost involved with adding your items onto the policy in the first place, if they aren’t already covered.


My belongings are covered under my parents’ home insurance, but what about when I’m away from my accommodation?

It’s also worth considering whether your parents’ home insurance will cover you away from your halls of residence (if you took your laptop to a lecture, for example). It could well be that your parents policy will only cover your items whilst they are in your room – so again, it’s a good idea to check this with their insurance provider to make sure you’re protected for every scenario.

Student insurance

Is there specific insurance for students like me?

There are lots of insurance options available specifically for students that protect you as you enter the world of university.

Why should I consider specific student insurance policies?

• Whilst it may seem like an easy option to assume you’re covered under your parent’s home insurance, taking out your own policy gives you total control over your insurance.

• It allows you to amend the types of gadgets on the policy, meaning you don’t have to give the policyholder a call every time you upgrade – you can do it yourself.

• It’s also beneficial in that you can select your own cover, giving you the option to add on accidental damage – a life saver for students on a night out!


Do I have student insurance without realising?

Aside from obtaining cover under your parents’ home insurance, or taking out your own policy, you might also want to check what cover is being provided by your halls of residence. More often than not, your university will provide an element of insurance for your items whilst you’re living in halls.

Will accommodation-provided student insurance be enough?

When a uni provides insurance, this will only usually cover your belongings whilst they’re in your room. This means no cover when you’re out and about, at the library or on nights out. So it will be worth exploring what options are available to protect your items in all events.

Where to find student insurance

Cover your gadgets against theft, accidental damage (including cracked screens!) and mechanical breakdown. Includes a 15% Endsleigh discount on up to two gadgets!

Find out more about Protect Your Bubble’s student gadget insurance.

Staying in student accommodation?

You may already have insurance through your accommodation provider! Check and confirm your cover today via the My Endsleigh app.

Read our disclaimer.