Can I insure my car for less than a year?


There are lots of different scenarios where you may want to insure your car for less than a year – for example, you’re a student heading home from uni for a few weeks and want to borrow a friend or parents’ car. Or maybe you’ve borrowed a friend’s vehicle for a day so you can move house.

While we are only able to offer 12 month policies under our standard car insurance policies (and you may incur a fee to cancel the policy mid-term), we do offer two different types of temporary (or short term) car insurance that may help.

Temporary student driver insurance

Flexible, short term cover for the length of time you need it, from 7 to 28 days. Temporary student driver insurance is provided by Marmalade, so you’ll be transferred to their site to get a quick and easy quote.

Get a quote.

Temporary car insurance (for non-students)

If you’re not a student and you’re looking for temporary motor insurance for cars, vans and motorhomes, you can get instant cover through Dayinsure from 1 hour to 30 days. CYou’ll be transferred to Dayinsure’s site when you click ‘get a quote.’

Get a quote.

Find out more about short term car insurance.