Coronavirus update for students covered by an Endsleigh Block Possessions insurance policy



In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, we continue to work with your accommodation provider to make some flexible changes to your insurance cover so you can still make a claim if you need to.

Below is a summary of the changes we have made:

Have you left your possessions inside your room?

We know you might have left your accommodation at short notice and returned home, and you might not have taken all of your possessions with you. Normally, we won’t pay a claim if you leave your belongings in a place nobody is living in for more than 60 consecutive days, but we’ve removed this condition for the rest of your policy year. This means if you’ve left some of your belongings behind at university you’ll still be able to make a claim, even if nobody is living at you student address.  

Are your possessions covered when you are travelling home?

When you are travelling home, you may be carrying important items. We’ve increased your cover for theft whilst you’re travelling home up to £500 per bag of possessions. Cover only applies within the UK.

Have your possessions been put into storage at your accommodation?

Your accommodation provider may have put your possessions into secure storage for you. Please be reassured that cover for these items will still apply in storage and this includes all items up to the limits on your policy certificate. Please see the link below to view your policy certificate.

Are you living in temporary accommodation?

If you have been moved into temporary accommodation elsewhere, the block possessions policy will still cover you and you can still make a claim if you need to. This is to make sure you receive the same protection you had when you were in your designated student accommodation.  

Communal area protection

We understand you may be spending more time inside your designated accommodation areas than ever before, possibly using common room spaces or communal areas. Laptops & Tablets will be insured for theft outside of the room and inside your designated accommodation communal areas. Cover applies in common rooms, shared living rooms, kitchen or bathroom within the designated student residence. Cover limits are listed on your policy certificate.

If you do need to make a claim;

Our specialist claims team are still running at full capacity. We wanted to provide a reminder on how you can make a claim under this policy:

  • Claims can be registered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by reporting them online via
  • Endsleigh’s Claims Service is open five days a week, Monday to Friday 9:00am-5:30pm; Phone number - 0800 923 4042. This number will be directed to an out of hours support service outside of these times.

To access your policy information please click here.

Last updated: 09 October 2020