Landlord and property

The student landlord’s guide to freshers’ week damage

Freshers’ week can be a hectic time for student landlords, with multiple new tenants moving into properties every day. And with the arrival of new tenants also comes the possibility of them wanting to throw a housewarming party - which could heighten the risk of property damage during the freshers’ period.

But rest assured, there are some simple steps you can take to protect your property and maintain a good relationship with your tenants. Even if something does happen, it’s easy to get the help you need. Our student landlord guide outlines some useful tips that will help you minimise the impact of freshers’ week on your property.

Preparing for freshers’ week party damage

Before your student tenants move in, be sure to draw up an inventory. You might also like to take photographs to make sure any damage to property is accounted for. Remember to have your student tenants sign the inventory list and photographs when they move in. You and your student tenants should also sign a tenancy agreement. This sets out all the terms and conditions of the rental, so everyone is on the same page.

It’s also a good idea to know what damage might occur during freshers’ week and beyond, as accidents can happen even when they’re not throwing a party. Water damage to furniture, spills on the carpet, and even door frame repair costs are all things to keep in mind from day one, so you may want to research typical repair costs in your area.

Also take some time now to understand your legal rights and obligations. This might include health and safety regulations, tax laws, and the newly extended Houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) licensing.

Talking to your tenants about destruction of property

Chances are this is the first time your student tenants have been responsible for a property, so it can be a good idea to speak to them about safety and security – as well as what happens in the event of destruction of property. It’s also a good idea to make them aware of their responsibilities as a tenant, if they have any – such as taking the bins out, mowing the lawn or reading the utility meters. A simple conversation when you hand over the keys can avoid complications later.

Protecting your property

Most student tenants will do the right thing. But in case things go wrong, you want to be protected. Student landlord insurance covers you against the risks of letting to student tenants, as well as offering extended cover for unoccupied properties during the long school holidays. You may also wish to add contents insurance to your policy to cover your furniture, household utensils, kitchen appliances, and even curtains and carpet. If they’re damaged by something like fire or flood, the extra policy will pay to repair or replace them.

Student landlord insurance with Endsleigh

There’s a lot to think about as a student landlord. As the UK’s number one student insurance provider, we have the expertise to make sure your student property is protected – from the first freshers’ week party throughout the tenancy.

Learn more about our student landlord insurance and get a quote today.

Read our disclaimer.