How insurance for your tenants could save you hassle

17 Oct 2014

No matter what kind of property you rent out, you need to safeguard your investment. Being a landlord exposes you to risks which are not covered by conventional insurance.

To protect your asset from risks such as fire and flood, all landlords should take out buildings insurance. Depending on whether your property is furnished or unfurnished, you can also choose to take out contents insurance.

While you’re not responsible for your tenants’ contents, there are some advantages to making sure they have the appropriate cover in place.

Tenants should have some level of cover that protects them for damage they may cause to your property. Without insurance; this would come out of their security deposit and prove inconvenient for you to repair or replace. It’s in your interests as a landlord to check your tenants have purchased insurance cover, which may include some of the following:

  • Damage to the property caused by the tenant allowing the bath or shower to overflow
  • Accidental damage to glass and sanitary fittings fixed as part of your property
  • Replacement locks, keys and locksmith charges in the event of their keys being stolen

Ensuring that your tenants have the best cover in place will not only protect your investment, but also help reduce the risk of a deposit dispute at the end of the tenancy.


Patrick Taylor

Written by: Patrick Taylor an Endsleigh colleague. 

Related articles

Reasons why you may need landlord insurance

12 May 2016

Many landlords who are new to letting a property may not realise that they need specialist insurance to cover the properties they rent out.