The only insurance provider recommended by NUS

What does student contents insurance cover?

Whether you're living in a shared house or student halls without any cover, you’ll probably want to make sure your stuff is protected in case anything unthinkable happens. Our student contents insurance makes sure we look after your essential items whilst you enjoy your uni life.

Bullet Point

From £2.04* a month

For £2,000 cover, based on a student living in an off campus private rented property in Bath.

Bullet Point

Optional cover for lost keys

Forgetful? No worries. Choose extra cover for replacement locks and lost keys.

Bullet Point

Cover for items under your student tenancy

We’ll provide tenant’s liability cover (up to £2,500!), which means you’re also insured for any items you’re legally responsible for on your student tenancy!

Bullet Point

Optional accidental damage

Prone to accidents? Optional cover for accidental damage (plus accidental damage to landlord’s fixtures and fittings) is available to give you peace of mind when going about your student life.

Protect your stuff at uni for as little as £8 per month!

With an Everywhere Student Pack you can pack up your cover in one easy policy up to £1,000, £1,500 or £2,500 to protect your student items everywhere, both on and off campus!


What's covered?

  • Items with a replacement cost up to £500 with a £1,000 pack, £750 with a £1,500 pack or £1,250 with a £2,500 pack.
  • 24 hour replacement once your claim is approved (if item is stolen or unrepairable).
  • Theft
  • Accidental and malicious damage, including cracked screens
  • Flood and fire
  • Mechanical breakdown
  • Protection anywhere in the UK, up to 90 days worldwide.
  • No excess applies to claims for theft, assault and mugging, malicious damage, or arson

What's not covered?

  • Your excess
  • Mechanical breakdown before the expiry of the manufacturer's warranty
  • Gadgets and mobile phones more than 3 years old at the start of the policy
  • Cosmetic damage that doesn't affect operation
  • Money
  • Musical instruments and bicycles
  • Accidental loss (unless added as an optional extra)
  • Any gadget or mobile where you cannot provide proof of purchase

Confirm your student cover

Don’t take out cover you don’t need – check what you’re already covered for with Endsleigh in your student accommodation! 

Just enter a few simple details to find out what cover has already been arranged by your accommodation provider – then you can decide whether you need any extra cover for your favourite student belongings.

Need help with student contents insurance?

We know that students are busy, that’s why we’ve compiled a list of FAQs to help you quickly find what you need. Here you can find out more about who needs student contents insurance and what it covers while you’re living in uni halls or a student house.

What is student contents insurance?

What is student contents insurance?


Student contents insurance is a type of insurance policy that will protect your contents and belongings (such as your clothes, furniture and electrical items) while you’re living in university accommodation. As standard, gadgets aren’t usually included in ‘contents’ insurance. But with Endsleigh, once you’ve selected your contents insurance, you can also add cover for gadgets if you’d like to!

You may also find that student contents insurance is called student possessions insurance, student belongings insurance, plus some other variations.

Get a student home contents insurance quote

Do I need student contents insurance?

If you’re a student at university, you’ll probably have all sorts of belongings to help make your student halls/house feel more homely. If having to replace all of your stuff doesn’t sound like a mood to you (or your bank account), you may want to take out insurance to make sure that if anything did happen – we’ve got your back.

Why else should I take out student home contents insurance?

Remember: Not only is it a hassle to replace belongings after a mishap, but some items can also be expensive to replace – a cost you could probably do without when you’re living on a student budget.

Not only that, but students can sometimes be seen as “easy targets” by thieves and usually have lots of valuable items. Having student house insurance in place will help make sure you’re not left out of pocket should anything unexpected happen to the things you couldn’t live without.

What’s covered with student contents insurance?

Being a student, this may be the first time you’ve had to get your head around insurance. So we’ll try and break things down as much as possible for you.

When you take out our student contents insurance, these are the key points you’ll need to know:

  • You’ll get cover for your general student home contents (this includes things such as clothes, jewellery, furniture and some electrical items).
  • You’ll be covered in lots of different scenarios, for example, if there’s a fire, flood or you experience theft.

What else is covered?

Now that you know the most important part, let’s get into the details. You’ll also get:

  • NEW for OLD cover. This means that if your TV was stolen, we’d replace it with a brand new model.
  • Protection for the things you’re responsible for under your student tenancy agreement (if there’s a fire/flood/theft). This is known as tenant's liability cover. So if anything happens to the fixtures/fittings/furniture in your halls/student house, you’re covered for up to a huge £2,500.
  • Cover for frozen food – just in case you’ve been bulk-buying to save money and your freezer throws you some shade.
  • Cover when you’re out of your student home for up to 60 days (for example, if you’re away for a reading week, or taking a family holiday).
  • Optional cover if you want to be protected for accidental damage (for example, if you break something belonging to you).
  • Optional cover if you want to be protected for accidental damage to your landlord’s fixtures and fittings (for example, if you break something belonging to them).
  • You can also later add cover for gadgets (such as mobile phones/laptops) so they’re protected too.

What’s not covered?

It’s normal for some student room insurance providers in the UK to let you know the things you won’t be covered for too. And it’s important that they tell you this so you know where you stand (and what you’re covered for!).

At Endsleigh, our students contents policies do not provide cover for the following* :

  • Accidental damage (to your own belongings) – unless you choose to include it on your policy.
  • Accidental damage (to your landlord’s fixtures and fittings) – unless you choose to include it on your policy.
  • Accidental damage (to your landlord’s household goods, furniture and furnishings).
  • Cover for gadgets and mobiles (you can add it on additionally afterwards if you’d like to!)
  • Cover for bicycles and their accessories
  • Cover for contact lenses
  • Cover for vehicles and craft
  • Any other item that’s been excluded as part of your policy
  • The first £25 of any claim (this is your excess amount which you’re required to pay).

*Please read your insurance documents for full terms and conditions of your student room insurance policy.

Get a student renters insurance quote

Are mobile phones covered by student contents insurance?

As standard, gadgets and mobiles aren’t included on contents insurance policies. But if you’re keen to add cover for your gadgets, Endsleigh’s student insurance policies are flexible. You can add gadget insurance once you’ve selected your contents insurance to make sure your favourite pieces of tech are looked after.

It’s important to note that policy covers may be different for your gadgets than your student contents, so take a few minutes to check your full policy wording to make sure you understand the protection you have in place.

What upgrades are available for my students contents cover?

Once you’ve taken a look at the cover you get with your student contents insurance, you may decide to play it safe and add some extra cover to make sure you’re as protected as you can be.

We have a few extras available that can be easily added to your student contents insurance quote, including:

  • Accidental damage cover – This protects you against drops/spills etc.
  • Accidental damage to landlord’s fixtures and fittings
  • KeyCare cover - This gives you cover for replacement keys, replacement locks and any locksmith charges.

What if I have other things to insure?

You may also find that you have other things you’d like to protect (in addition to your clothes and personal items). You can also get insurance for the following belongings with Endsleigh:

Questions to ask yourself when you’re getting insurance

If you’re heading to university, this may be your first time taking out an insurance policy. If so, it’s super important to make sure you fully understand the details of the policy you’re signing up for before you buy.

Have a think about the following before getting your student contents insurance quote:

1. Am I already covered elsewhere?

Take the time to find out if you already have cover in place for your personal belongings – after all, you don’t want to be paying for cover you don’t need! There are 2 main things to check:

2. What do I need to protect? Is the level of cover right?

It can be difficult to judge what level of student contents cover you’re going to need at university, and it’s easy to underestimate the value of your belongings – particularly your clothes and personal items. Here are some things to think about:

  • Add up the cost of your stuff - Spend some time calculating the full value of your possessions before you get a quote. This is so you can make sure you’re not under-insured if you need to make a claim.
  • Consider additional items - Consider whether you need cover for any additional items you might be taking to university, such as your tablet, laptop, mobile phone, bike or musical instrument – remember that these won’t be included as part of a standard contents insurance policy.
  • Find out where you’re covered - Find out if your things will be covered whilst you’re out and about at uni. If not, is this enough cover for you?
  • Get to know your policy - Finally, read the full details (T&Cs) of the policy to understand the cover you’re getting. It seems a bit boring, but it’ll help you decide whether you need to add any extra cover to your policy, such as accidental damage or Key Care.

3. Have I answered all the questions accurately?

  • Double check your details 
    It’s super important to double check the details you’ve provided to make sure your quote is right. Things like your level of cover and personal details (like your job, home address etc.). Things like this can actually have an effect on your overall insurance cost!

  • Find out if your student home has any security 
    Locks and alarms can be confusing, so it can be easy to get things wrong when you’re trying to find them all. It’s a good idea to double check these details, as providing the wrong information could mean that your policy isn’t valid and you won’t be able to claim.

  • Check your door locks
    You will also need to make sure that your door locks (and other security measures) meet your insurer’s requirements. This may seem complicated, but we’ve broken it down here in our blog post all about door locks.

4. Are there any student home insurance discounts available?

As the UK’s No. 1 student insurance provider, we’re dedicated to keeping costs down for students and graduates. That’s why we offer the following discounts on our student contents insurance:

Get up to 10% off your student contents insurance with your TOTUM card!

If you need to insure multiple gadgets, you'll receive 10% discount when you insure two gadgets, with 15% off when you insure three or more.

How do I make a claim for my student belongings?

It’s really simple to make a claim with Endsleigh. Firstly, to report a claim under your Endsleigh student house insurance policy, please visit our claim centre.

Here are some additional tips if you need to make a claim:

Be clear - It’s important to be clear about exactly what happened. This is so things are consistent when telling your story to your insurance provider.

Take photos and videos – Take photos and videos of whatever you’re claiming for as soon as the damage happens. For example, damaged possessions. The more solid evidence you have, the quicker it will be for an insurance company to process your claim.

Make yourself aware of the wait times - Once a claim is reported, we try our very best to carry out repairs to items as quickly as possible to make things as convenient as possible for you.

What happens if something is stolen?

Student contents insurance claims are settled on a New for Old basis – this means, we'd replace your stolen TV with a brand new model.

How many claims can I make?

You can make two claims in any single period of insurance.

Will I have to pay anything?

You’ll need to pay the excess stated on your policy. With our student contents insurance, this fee is usually just £25. But you should check your policy to make sure.

Can I cover my room key?

Yes, you can! You can add ‘Key Care’ onto your policy which would cover your student home keys.

What kind of cover would Key Care give me?

Our Key Care cover protects your keys/key cards if they’ve been lost or stolen.

What other things do I need to know?

  • The cover protects a maximum of 3 keys per lock.
  • It includes cover for replacement keys, locks and locksmith charges.
  • Keys must be attached to the key fob provided by Key-Care Ltd.
  • Costs relating to a damaged key or lock or general wear and tear won’t be covered.
  • You won’t be able to claim until the key has been lost for at least 3 days.
  • The keys must have been lost or stolen from the policyholder, or a member of their immediate family living at the same address.
  • The policyholder must notify Key-Care Ltd within 30 days of loss or theft of keys.

Am I already covered under my parent’s home insurance?

Once you move away from home, you may find that your belongings are no longer covered under your parents’ or guardians’ home insurance policy – and even if they are, it may not provide the level of cover you need. For example, your belongings may only be protected inside your uni room, not whilst you’re out with friends or at lectures. It’s a good idea to check with your parent’s home insurance to see what the situation is.

Do I have student halls insurance without knowing?

Before taking out your own student contents policy, you should also check whether your accommodation provider has arranged any insurance for you whilst you’re staying with them. If they have, this cover is sometimes provided by Endsleigh and you can find out whether you already have any student cover in place here in just a few seconds.

I have student insurance with my halls of residence, is this enough?

If you do already have cover in place, it’s still important to check what is/isn’t covered. You can then decide whether you need any additional protection whilst you’re out and about at uni.

Get a student belongings insurance quote

What is a replacement cost?

A replacement cost is the amount of money needed to replace one of the items you want to cover on your Everywhere Student Pack insurance.

Our Everywhere Student Packs each have a limit which means that you won't be covered for items that are more expensive than the replacement cost on your statement of insurance.

Maximum placement costs for our Everywhere Student Packs are as follows:

£1,000 pack = Items that cost no more than £500 are covered
£1,500 pack = Items that cost no more than £750 are covered
£2,500 pack = Items that cost no more than £1,250 are covered

Let’s give you an example.

Jack just bought a new laptop which cost him £300. He then takes out our Everywhere Student Pack insurance which gives him £1,000 of cover. Jack also knows that he wouldn’t be able to claim for anything more expensive than the maximum replacement cost of £500 on this pack.

A few months later, Jack’s laptop is dropped and damaged. Because the maximum replacement cost on Jack’s policy is £500 and his laptop cost £300, this means that he can make a claim. Had Jack's laptop cost more than £500, it wouldn't be covered and Jack would be unable to claim.

It's always worth checking that your items don't cost more than the maximum replacement cost when taking out our Everywhere Student Packs. If any of your items do cost more than the highest replacement cost (£1,250), you can choose to build your own cover.

What about Endsleigh’s laptop/tablet theft policy?

Our laptop/tablet theft policy provides cover for devices with a replacement cost up to £1,250.

How easy is it to make a claim?

Making a claim with Endsleigh is simple. Just follow this 3 step process: 1. Head to our claims centre and fill in a claims form. 2. Our team will call you to confirm your claim. 3. We’ll approve your claim as soon as possible.

Interested in contents insurance for your student house? You might also be interested in...

Student gadget insurance

Stay connected with Endsleigh's flexible and affordable student gadget insurance, protecting the items that matter most.

Student car insurance

As the UK's No. 1 student insurance provider, we provide affordable car insurance for student drivers. Get a quote today!

Gap year insurance

Whether it's a quick trip abroad or a lap around the world, our gap year travel insurance will cover you wherever you go.

Need to contact us?

Our friendly team are ready to talk to you:

Mon-Fri: 8am to 6pm; Saturday, 9am-1pm

Call us on 0333 234 1557