"Non-standard" is a term insurers often use to define insurance that falls outside the reach of a normal home insurance policy. Endsleigh Insurances (Brokers) Limited has a specialist team for non-standard home insurance. We have the ability to provide insurance for many non-standard home insurance situations, such as the below:

  • Subsidence home insurance

  • Flooded home insurance

  • Unoccupied house insurance

  • Landlords insurance

Non-standard home insurance could involve a risk that is caused by a personal history effect like claims or convictions or it could be to do with the property construction or the area where the property is situated. These properties pose a different risk than normal properties for insurers.

Is my property classed as a non-standard home by insurers?

This list is by no means exhaustive. However we find that these are the most common forms of non-standard home insurance people have.

  • Non-standard construction

    Pre-fabricated properties. Timber framed houses. Steel framed houses. Essex, Cob, Wattle and Daub (made from a combination of wet soil clay, sand, animal dung and straw). Flat roofs. Shingle roofs. Colt properties. Listed buildings. Eco.

  • Non-standard use

    Joint occupancy. Holiday homes. Second homes. Unoccupied properties.

  • Larger than standard risk

    Underpinned homes. Flood risk properties. Renovating.

  • Unclear past

    Declined insurance. Claims history.

Please have the following information available when arranging your cover:

  • Full details of the property...

    ...including the rebuild value of the property, the level of security and any issues in its history, which can normally be found on the survey for the property.

  • If the property is made from non-standard materials...

    ...such as thatch or another unique construction material make sure you cover the details with the previous owner by asking probing questions. You can query their insurance, asking if they have had any issues obtaining cover in the past, this could save you a lot of time and money.

  • If the property is made of thatch...

    ...or another unique construction material make sure you have the electrical inspection documents, surveys and details of general maintenance that has been carried out.