25+ years landlords experience

Landlord insurance

Landlord insurance is a type of property insurance that’s designed to protect a landlord’s rental property against a range of perils including fire, flood, theft and malicious damage. Additional cover for accidental damage and legal expenses may also be added to provide further protection.

25+ years landlords experience

With over 25 years' experience in the rental property market, we can find you landlord insurance for any type of residential or commercial property.

  • We search a panel of insurance providers to find the best cover and price for you
  • Get a quote for your properties online or contact our specialist property team

What is landlord insurance?

If you’re renting out a property to tenants, whether it’s a single residential property or a large commercial premises, it’s important to make sure that you’re fully protected.

A landlord insurance policy will provide cover to protect the landlord’s buildings, contents or both against a range of perils such as fire, flood, theft and malicious damage. Optional accidental damage insurance will further protect your buildings and/or contents against accidental damage caused by you or your tenants.

When you obtain a landlord insurance quote you’ll usually be able to choose additional landlord cover depending on the type of property you’re looking to insure, such as home emergency cover, legal cover or employers’ liability insurance.

While landlord insurance isn’t compulsory by law, it may be a requirement of your mortgage or loan provider to make sure you have landlord buildings insurance in place.

What types of property will landlord insurance cover?

Rental properties come in all shapes and sizes, so it’s important that you find landlord insurance that meets your needs.

It’s likely that if you’re looking to insure a buy-to-let property to residential tenants, your requirements will be different to a landlord with a large commercial property portfolio, or a landlord with a non-standard rental (such as an unoccupied property).

So what types of property can you obtain a landlord insurance quote for with Endsleigh?

Residential properties

Residential properties are rental properties that are let to residential tenants under a tenancy agreement. They are often houses, flats or maisonettes, and may be let to student or non-student tenants.

Find out more about our residential landlord insurance

Commercial properties

Commercial properties are rental properties that are let for business purposes to commercial tenants. Commercial premises are used by many different types of business and vary in size from shops and restaurants to leisure centres and factories.

Find out more about our commercial property insurance

Multiple properties or mixed portfolio

Some landlords may have multiple residential or commercial properties, a mixed portfolio of both, or a single property which is let to residential and commercial tenants (such as flats above a shop). 

Find out more about our landlord portfolio insurance

Non-standard properties

Non-standard properties are specialist rentals such as holiday homes, buildings of a non-standard construction or unoccupied properties. Rental properties that are affected by subsidence or liable to flooding are also likely to require specialist landlord insurance cover.

Find out more about our non-standard landlord insurance

Blocks of flats

A landlord or management company may own all of the flats or apartments within a single block or complex, and wish to insure them on a single landlord insurance policy.

Find out more about our block of flats insurance

Frequently asked questions

What is landlord legal cover?

What is rent guarantee insurance?

What does landlord home emergency cover?

Why may landlords need liability cover?

What is a rebuild cost?

What is a ‘sum insured’?

How much does landlord insurance cost?

Not sure what's right for you?

Our friendly UK experts are here to help with any queries you may have.

Call 0333 234 1556