Studying abroad can be an exciting and nerve-wracking time. To put your mind at ease, here are 12 tips to get you on your way.
- Attend university organised events and socials during your stay abroad, they are a great place to meet people.
- Pack wisely and only take the essentials, as this will save you money and hassle in the long run.
- Take lots of photocopies of your important documents, such as your passport, with you.
- Make sure there are good transport links wherever it is you will be living. It makes getting there much less stressful.
- Immerse yourself in the culture and language to help improve your language skills – learn some key words and phrases before you go to help you get by initially.
- Use Skype, it's a life saver when you're homesick (it’s OK to get homesick!)
- Plan your budget carefully; keep aside money for any unexpected expenses.
- Try and find out the cost of living before you get there.
- Make sure you have enough spare money to fully experience the country you're travelling to, see the sights and get involved with local activities.
- If you think there's a chance you'll overspend, get a job; babysitting and tutoring for locals are great ways to make money and improve your language skills.
- Don't carry too much cash, and make sure your money is protected whilst you're abroad.
- Be prepared to spend more money than you normally do at your home university.
Read our disclaimer.