Student life

Insurance FAQs: Student Edition

Last updated: 16/10/20

If you’re new to buying insurance and a little uncertain of the process, here are a few FAQs that should help answer any queries you might have:

How do I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim, it’s important to be clear about exactly what happened so you can tell your story factually and consistently to your insurance provider with no missing details or exaggeration. To help speed up the processing of your claim make sure you answer all questions truthfully and can fully explain the circumstances of any claim.

Take photos and videos of whatever you’re claiming for as soon as the damage occurs, such as damaged possessions or sub-standard hotel rooms. Note down flight numbers for delayed flights and make lists of items stolen – the more solid the evidence you have, the quicker it will be for an insurance company to process your claim.

Making a claim with Endsleigh is simple.

To read more about the claims process for gadget and possessions insurance, click here.
To read more about the claims process for car insurance, click here.

What is an excess?

A compulsory excess is the amount the insurer requires you to pay towards a claim. The amount of your excess is shown within your policy documents and will usually vary according to the type of claim you are making. You may have also opted to increase the voluntary excess when you took your policy, as this can sometimes help to reduce the premium.

Both your compulsory and voluntary excess amounts will be deducted from any claim settlement. If the incident wasn’t your fault – for example, you’ve been involved in a car accident – your insurer may be able to recoup any losses, including your excess, from the other driver’s insurer. Your insurance provider will advise you if this is the case, and whether you need to make any payments to proceed your claim.

Can I cancel my policy at any time?

If your policy is claim free you can normally cancel your cover at any time. However, some policies do not allow a refund if they are cancelled within the last four months.

Alternatively, some insurers may require pro-rata payment for any time spent on risk or payment of a cancellation fee. For example, if you’ve spent 6 months on cover out of a 12 month policy, you may be responsible for paying 6 months’ worth of premium. Check your policy documents to find out whether you are liable for any cancellation premiums or charges.

What is No Claims Bonus (NCB)?

No Claims Bonus (sometimes called a No Claims Discount) refers to the number of years you have had a policy in your own name without making a claim. Confirmation of your NCB entitlement will usually appear in your renewal invitation, or you can ask your insurance provider to send it to you. Your Endsleigh No Claims Bonus will be included in your renewal invitation which will be in your online account around 21 days before your renewal date.

No Claims Bonus usually refers to car insurance policies – however, you can also accrue NCB on some other types of insurance, such as home and contents insurance.

Can I pay in instalments?

We offer our customers a convenient way to pay for their policy. Using our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL), you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit facility. This means that you pay a deposit (if applicable) and pay the balance of your premium over equal monthly instalments.

What are the consequences of non-payment?

Failing to make a payment when it is due or cancelling your Direct Debit Instruction without advising us, or PCL, breaches the terms of the credit agreement and could have a number of consequences, which include termination of the credit agreement.

This in turn could result in any insurance policy financed by the credit agreement being cancelled, and/or you may have to immediately pay the full outstanding balance. PCL will charge you £20 on each occasion that this happens.

In addition Endsleigh may use a debt collection agency to recover unpaid insurance monies due to them and you will incur a charge of 15% + VAT based on the full outstanding amount owed to us, including any cancellation fee or administration charge, if this is necessary.

Ultimately, failure to pay may result in action being taken that could affect your future ability to obtain credit from any source.

It is important that you contact Endsleigh or PCL as soon as you are aware you may have difficulty in making a payment.

Student car insurance FAQs

How do I report an incident?

The quickest way for you to report a claim is to visit our claim centre here and contact us. Before making a claim, please take time to read and understand what you will be asked to do and what to send us here. We will try and make it as simple as possible for you.

What information do I need to report a car insurance claim?

To report a motor claim you will need the following information:

• Your policy number • Location details of your car for inspection or collection • Full details of the incident, including anyone else involved • Police details, if applicable • Details of any injuries to you or others • Certificate of Insurance for repairers • Please note, further information may also be required.

To report a claim online, visit our claim centre.

Do I still need to report an incident if I’m not making a claim?

Under the terms and conditions of your policy, all incidents must be reported even if you are not making a claim. If you report the incident to us for information and we later receive a claim from someone else involved, you will be contacted and advised on the next steps.

To report a claim, visit our claim centre.

Am I insured to drive other cars?

Because Endsleigh is an insurance intermediary and we always try to provide the cheapest price, it isn't always a certainty that your policy will include cover to drive other cars. You should read your policy documents in full to check that you’re covered.

If you are a new customer getting a quote with us for the first time, your cover details will be displayed on the quotation page under ‘policy summary’ – this will be shown as a clickable PDF.

If you have any further questions about your Endsleigh insurance policy, please go to our support section on the website.

Your student cover

Living in university accommodation this year? Your accommodation provider may have already arranged some contents insurance inside your room with Endsleigh. You can check what's covered by entering your accommodation provider or HH reference number here.

Read our disclaimer.