How to become a landlord for student tenants: Part 1

In the first of two articles looking at the process of becoming a student landlord, property portal talks you through purchasing your property and getting it ready for market.

Buying the Property

To be successful in letting a property to students, you’ll want to maximise your two types of return – income from rent and (hopefully) the appreciation of the value of the property over time, while also providing as good an experience as possible for your tenants.

Buying the right property takes time. On average, you’re going to be spending anything from six weeks to eight months getting your hands on your property in the first place. The key consideration is timing. Bear in mind that student house-hunting is seasonal. Each city sees an annual yet predictable cycle of undergraduate, post-graduate, international student and clearing activity. You don’t want to leave yourself in the position of having a house renovated and ready to find, when most students have already found their house for the next year. This could result in at least a 12 month void in your first year.

Get Your Paperwork in Order

Before you start refurbishing and marketing you’ll need to be legally ready to take on student tenants. If you’re planning to rent to a least five tenants and your property is at least three storeys high, then you will need a special licence. This is because the property will then qualify as an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation), and as such, will need to be licenced with your Local Authority. As part of this process they may also insist that your property meets certain standards before you can let. These standards will most likely include things like fire safety measures, sinks in rooms and rules regarding the use of locks on bedroom doors.

Adhering to these standards can be costly and take time (and the licence itself is going to cost a few hundred pounds as well). So if you’re letting to five students make sure you factor in some time for legal considerations.

Working on the Property

Whilst you may have to make some compulsory improvements, you may also want to do a bit of work on the property in order to maximise your rental income. You need to make sure everything is in good condition before renting.

Where your everyday student property may differ from the standard model is in the composition of its rooms. For example, whilst many family homes require more living space, many student landlords convert any second lounges or spare rooms into bedrooms – thereby increasing their yield on (for example) a standard three bed, by up to 33% by offering a four bed option instead.

Increasingly property owners are opting to provide televisions inclusive in the rent, and ready-to-go Wi-Fi as an attractive proposition. Students are aware that moving into a house without the internet already connected can mean a wait of 6-8 weeks – not ideal during term time.

If your property isn’t student ready, you’re going to schedule in some time for renovating.

Read Part 2 of this guide for more information on marketing your property, signing the tenancy agreements and welcoming your new tenants.

Read our disclaimer


StuRents has been listing student accommodation in the UK for free since 2008 and lists over 160,000 bed spaces across all major university towns and cities.

Related articles

What is ‘right to rent’?

From 1st February 2016 landlords will be responsible for checking their prospective tenant’s right to rent. Find out more here.

Changes in Stamp Duty

How do the changes in Stamp Duty affect landlords and property investors? Here is a brief outline on what you need to know about Stamp Duty.

What can landlords expect in 2018?

The past few years have seen the private rental sector in a state of flux. Here’s a summary of some of the challenges landlords may face in 2018.

Changes to energy efficiency standards

Here’s a breakdown of what you need to know about the changes to energy efficiency standards taking effect from 01 April 2018.

The different types of landlord insurance

Many landlords who are new to letting a property may not realise that they need specialist insurance to cover the properties they rent out.