What to take when driving abroad

Increasingly UK travellers are opting to drive abroad, rather than flying or catching the train. Not only is it convenient, but it can be incredibly cost effective. However, research from the RAC shows that 76% of British motorists feel uneasy about driving abroad. With this in mind, here are some tips from the RAC to help you feel more at ease.

Translation book

A translation book could not only come in handy in shops and cafes, but may be useful if you happen to break down or be involved in an accident.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance is always high on the list of priorities for Brits taking their car abroad, and can cover you for those unexpected moments. Motorists should be aware that they may need to increase their existing breakdown cover, or take out standalone European breakdown cover to avoid any significant additional expenses (see below).

Comprehensive European breakdown cover

Having comprehensive European breakdown cover means you won’t need to worry about speaking a foreign language in the event of a break down.

Awareness of regulations

What you are required by law to have in your car is different abroad. The RAC have produced a helpful table with all you need to know.

RAC Table

Read our disclaimer.


The RAC is one of the UK's most progressive motoring organisations, providing services for both private and business motorists and are committed to making motoring easier, safer, more affordable and more enjoyable for drivers and road users.

Related articles

How to be more fuel efficient

We are all complaining about the cost of motoring at the moment but here are some interesting facts that will help you to reduce your monthly fuel bills...With 50 years' insurance experience, Endsleigh searches a panel of top UK insurers to find our cheapest car insurance quote for you.

What is the most dangerous day of the year for drivers?

No matter how many preventative measures we take, we will always face a certain amount of risk in our day to day lives. To help you stay safe on the roads, we’ve shared some of our research into the most dangerous day of the year for drivers.

Top 5 cars for new drivers in 2018

It’s important to make the right choice when purchasing your first car – after all, you don’t know how long you’ll be keeping it for. To help you decide, we’ve pulled together the top five cars for new drivers.

What you need to know about distracted driving

As attention spans shorten, this unfortunately also has a knock-on effect on our driving behaviours as we become increasingly distracted behind the wheel. That's why it’s important for drivers to take precautions to make sure that they’re not distracted.

8 motorway tips for new drivers

Whether you’re new to driving, or have plenty of experience under your belt, motorway travel can be daunting, so here’s a few tips on how to prepare yourself for your motorway journey.